Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: hello from New Jersey  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Ishtachi1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HD Ultra Glide
  • City / Town: Waldwick, NJ
hello from New Jersey
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:24 am »
Hi all I am new member from Northern New Jersey. I am thinking of buying a Trophy SE not sure yet. About me I have been riding for 18 years started with Yamaha Virago but for past 15 years it is been Harley Davidson Touring bikes 800+ lbs. Just boutght 2014 BMW F800GT not satisfied with the bike so I am looking for Trophy SE and BMW RT. Not that I don't like Harley but I am trying to lose weight at least on my bikes. RT is 604 lbs ready to go, TT is 700 lbs with the bags. I rode both bikes I liked them both. I like to find out from you guys.
How is the maintenance on TT
How much does it cost to do first service and what is involved in first service?   
What about all the recalls?
Every dealer has 2013 and 2014 bikes. 2014 is better then 2013 any changes?
How is the low speed handling(I only took short ride)
Please help thanks

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: hello from New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:15:32 am »
*Originally Posted by Ishtachi1 [+]
Hi all I am new member from Northern New Jersey. I am thinking of buying a Trophy SE not sure yet. About me I have been riding for 18 years started with Yamaha Virago but for past 15 years it is been Harley Davidson Touring bikes 800+ lbs. Just boutght 2014 BMW F800GT not satisfied with the bike so I am looking for Trophy SE and BMW RT. Not that I don't like Harley but I am trying to lose weight at least on my bikes. RT is 604 lbs ready to go, TT is 700 lbs with the bags. I rode both bikes I liked them both. I like to find out from you guys.
How is the maintenance on TT
How much does it cost to do first service and what is involved in first service?   
What about all the recalls?
Every dealer has 2013 and 2014 bikes. 2014 is better then 2013 any changes?
How is the low speed handling(I only took short ride)
Please help thanks

Hi there

Im sure you will get plenty of responses.  Before I bought the TT, I road tested the F800GT and R1200RT.  I hated them both.  The 800GT was to 'plasticky' and not great riding 2 up.  The RT was like riding a tractor.  The same day, I test rode the TT and bought it.  I think its a wonderful bike with very light handling and plenty of power to boot.

With regards to 'issues' there is plenty of info on the forum, I have a 2014 model with zero issues so far, cross fingers.  The only thing I have done to it is change the Pirelli tyres for Michelin PR4GTs.

Regarding the R1200Rt, I went to test it wanting to like it, I expected to buy it before I rode it and found it extremely disappointing. 

Havent had the first service yet (since the 500 mile oil change) so not sure about the cost at 10,000 miles.

Anyway I hope you will join in more when you eventually buy your TT.

best regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:24:01 am »
Hi Ishtachi1 and  :400:  to the Forum !

The Dealer where you had your ( first ) Test Ride shoudl be able to give you details of Service costs.

Like any motorcycle, they all handle differently at different speeds - it just takes some getting used to. 

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:55 am »
Welcome.

The first service is an oil change at 500 miles. I got that one thrown in as a freebie when I purchased the bike. The 10,000 mile service was about $160.

I've had my bike 14 months and I've paid essentially zero for maintenance as it's under warranty. Recalls have be easy, just a ride to the dealership and a little time there.
I have added PR4 tires.

There have been a few issues with earlier models. My '13 was purchased in September '13 but it had been on the showroom floor for quite a while. I am one of the "lucky" ones who had issues with the audio module. Once it was properly diagnosed it was an easy fix. I was inconvenienced but as I also have a Bonneville it wasn't too bad.

The Trophy is a bit tall for me but with time it becomes second nature.

Given the choice I would go for a 2014 or even a 2015.

The Trophy SE is by far the best bike I've ever had. Great two-up, power, handling. I'd get another one if something happen to this one.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 04:10:52 pm »
welcome aboard  :821:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline jim515

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Thornton, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »
Welcome! 

I test rode a few bikes before purchasing a '13 trophy (leftover) earlier this year and loved how the Trophy handled.  In nearly 7 months I have put over 5000 miles on it.

The bike has been stable at any speed and handled corners through sections of WV roads like it was on rails. 

I took a nail to the rear tire and the warning system let me know about the deflation so I could get off the highway and park safely.  For that I am extremely thankful.  So the multitude of sensors have benefits and are not just there to annoy you :-)

The dealer has handled all my questions and issues well.  Groups like this and the Triumph Riders Association (RAT) are great for experiences and information from other riders.

-Jim
(grew up in Northwest NJ, now in NC)
DoD #3.2616
'13 Triumph Trophy
When in doubt gas it, at least it ends the suspense.
“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Offline Older traveler

• Trophy Member
  • USE IT !!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bridgeton NJ
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:16 pm »
I bought a 2013 leftover in September this year. I got an outstanding price. The recalls were already done. Battery was trashed and had to be replaced. I believe that was because of the dealer and not the bike. The radio software was rebooted and now the bike is just awesome with no problems. Do your research on the dealer mine sucked at best (Hannum’s in Media PA). The dealership I use now is in Manayunk PA. They treat me excellent even though I didn't get the bike from them. I rode a 2002 Ultra Classic (that I bought new) before going to the Trophy SE. I should have done it ten years ago. Again…do research on the dealer. The bike is awesome.

Gene

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »
I have just done 17,000 miles on mine and still in love with it!

tweedy-bunch