Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TTSE vs. new Harley (yeah, really!)  (Read 13618 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
TTSE vs. new Harley (yeah, really!)
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:22:50 am »
Today, me and George, (a retired NYC motorcycle cop who I often ride with) traded bikes for 60 miles (almost 100 km). George's bike is NEW Harley whatever (I forgot the model name, but one of the smaller Harley's with the large engine). His Harley is much newer than my TTSE.  A 2014 model just a few months old.

We first left from Reno, took I-80 to 95 south to Fallon and then came back through Fernley, here is where we stopped for lunch on the way back.

Here are the results:
 Low frequency  vibrations  of the Harley made me feel like I was on an old 1960's bike.  My feet and legs felt it the most, I just could not  wait to get my TTSE back. The only nice things was the seat was very comfy and there were no vibrations felt at the seat--just everywhere else. I rode it up to 90 MPH and was only at 3,300 RPMs but even then the vibrations were awful. Tons of torque. Bottom line is overall, I didn't like it and was very happy to ride my TTSE again, but not everything was bad with the Harley. For an example, I like the keyless key that never leaves your pocket.  But the ride reconfirmed that I do not like Harleys. Not even the newer ones that are supposed to be so much better than the older ones.

How, how George liked my TTSE:

He rode my TTSE up to 111 MPH (180 KPH) and he was in 5th, felt no need for sixth, so he must like higher RPM bikes. I often have my TTSE in 6th gear by 50 MPH and even from there,  it still has more pulling power than I would ever want. He did mention he could feel a little high tingle vibration in the handlebars--something I never even noticed before on my TTSE. But wasn't bothersome at all to George--just noticeable to him, perhaps because he is more used to those large low freq vibrations of his Harley.

Anyway, he just loved the ride on my TTSE.  He will be at Freedom Cycles here in Reno in the next couple of days to see what kind of deal he can get with a trade-in. He owns a total of four bikes,   two are newer Harleys, so now he will see what type of deals he can get  with various trade-ins. Nevada  is Harley country big time, so I think anybody will take them as trade-ins. TTSE's are very poor sellers out here. The only  problem, AFAIK,  is the lack of the name "Harley".

With his Harley, you can see the handlebars vibrating just by looking, especially at idle. Very low freq stuff, which to me is a lot more noticeable and can be very well felt.  But I guess that is what NYG (we call him New York George) is used to.

Anyway, after riding my TTSE he just now has to own one. So I guess it is true what I have heard many others here say--don't test ride until you're ready to buy.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:22:41 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: TTSE vs. new Harley (yeah, really!)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Nice review.

The clandestine test ride. I can't believe you would do that to you friend. It's going to cost him a lot of money!   :008:
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:53 pm »
I sold my 2003 Harley Electra Glide after falling for the TTSE following a 15 minute test ride.  I explain to people that I was tired of riding a paint shaker.  I too did enjoy many of the Harley comforts, (seat height, leg angle, and torque) however, on balance, the TTSE is at least 5 decades more advanced than the Harley.

I do miss the abundance of expertise, OEM and aftermarket parts, and large market experience that Harley riders enjoy.  I do not miss the less than customer friendly attitude of Harley dealers.

ZShyster

Offline Older traveler

• Trophy Member
  • USE IT !!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bridgeton NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:30 pm »
I also gave up on Harley this year. I replaced a 2002 Ultra Classic for a 2013 Trophy SE. I rod Harley's exclusively for almost 30 years. The things that attracted me to Harley in the first place are almost all gone now. The small dealerships, walking in just to say hi, pick the mechanics brain for some free advice. Harley sells a lot of bikes now. No longer making them unique. The dealership is like a Super Walmart. More interested in selling clothes and accessories rather than bikes. My Harley riding friends mostly think a 100 mile day is a long run, Hell…most can’t go on a ride unless it’s an organized poker or toy run with somebody telling them were to go. God forbid you ask them to go for a ride if it might rain later in the day. I had many a good trips on my Harley with many good people. But, it was time for a change. My Trophy is more pleasurable to ride and I’m looking forward to many more good rides with many good people. No matter what they ride.

Gene

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »
*Originally Posted by Older traveler [+]
Harley sells a lot of bikes now. No longer making them unique. The dealership is like a Super Walmart. More interested in selling clothes and accessories rather than bikes.
Yeah, here in Reno, the Harley dealer is two very large buildings. But tons of bikes, many have $45,000.00 price tags. For clothes, a poor selection--they didn't even sell any type motorcycle pants that I was looking for. Here, they probably make more money on the bikes, as there are Harleys everywhere.

In Carson City, I mistakenly thought the Harley Dealer went out of business-- but what really happened was the opposite. They moved into a new much larger building.

IMO, there is no logic in this. Harley's usually have small gas tanks. In many parts of NV it's more than 200 miles between gas stations. I assume most of the Harleys don't ride far out in the middle of nowhere.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 09:13:30 pm »
I would venture a guess that in the U.S. 75% or more never ride their motorcycle across state lines. The vast majority are Saturday afternoon or warm evening after supper riders. If they put 2000 miles on in one year they have accomplished something. They want pretty paint, flashy chrome, and the riding costumes that go with it. HD knows what a huge market this is and they design and build accordingly. I think HD has some of the best looking bikes on the road and that is what  appeals to the weekend rider. We can knock HD all day long for their faults, but face it they have their act together and are #1 when it comes to this segment of riders. I love my Trophy, but from 30 feet away it looks just like any other Tupperware wrapped two wheeler. I bought my TT for what it is and what it does, but the majority of riders here are just the opposite. More power to them. Just ride  :152:

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »
NavyDad, you are 100% right! :028:

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:04 am »
YES! If you can just get a Harley rider off and onto a TT, if fact. onto anything other than Harley. I have a friend with a very nice Softtail Heritage, he had to have it, would not get anything else.......

Well, we went for a ride to see his daughter at a college about 2 hours away, on the way back I FORCED him to ride my TT............Guess what he is in the market for? .........Yep, you guessed it, a TT..........lol

And by the way, i had to FORCE him to give me back my TT that day!

But I will say that I still own a Harley, A 2006 Deuce that i purchased new, I was gonna trade it but my 23 year old son would not let me, he said way to badass to ever let go, and he is right, it is like a piece of art, all the chrome, the engine ascetics, the long lean frame, the sound........ And I never ever ever ride it.

He would not even look at my TT, then one day I forced him to ride the TT.....guess what?.yep, he is in market for a new bike also, might not be a TT, could be a BMW, but he is in the market for something other than a Harley, he saw the light!

No comparison between Harley and TT.

But I will say, , ride something, but just ride.