Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: air filter  (Read 6358 times)

Offline grampom

• Trophy Member
  • Distance riding with spouse on month-long rides!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ooltewah, TN
air filter
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:49:20 pm »
Where is the air filter located on a 2013SE and how does one go about changing it?  Thanks!  (not particularly mechanically inclined!)
'76 Honda CB 400, 2002 Yamaha 650 Classic
2005 Victory T C, 2008 Yamaha Royal Star
2009 Honda Goldwing, 2011 BMW R 1200 RT
2011 BMW GS 650, 2012 BMW F 800 R, 2013 Triumph Street Triple, 2005 Suzuki DR650; Current: 2013 TTSE, 2014 Bonnie

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: air filter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »
It's buried!  You must remove the fairing, gastank, and part of the air induction system, none of which are 'simple'.   Looks like no one has posted a 'how to' on that specific task, I'll be doing it at the 30K miles checkup, so may tackle that.  Coconut has a great article on removing the fairing in this section....

Love love love this bike and engine, but it was NOT built for easy maintenance, that is for sure, and if you take it to a dealer for everything it has got to be one of the most expensive bikes to ride ever...  Not that it's not worth it..  :028:

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:57 am »
Hi Grampon,

The Air Filter should be changed annually or every 10,00 miles ( whichever comes first ),
so will nornally be changed at the Annual service.

As janfmiller says, there's quite a lot of dismantling to be done to get at the Air Filter.

Being "not particularly mechanically inclined" I assume you will be having the servicing done by a Dealer,
so don't worry about the Air Filter - leave it to the Dealer, and just enjoy the riding side of things !

Cheers  :821:

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:03 pm »
janfmiller, once you get past the complete fairing removal there are only a couple of more screws for the gas tank but several hoses that you have to disconnect (small fuel lines to each side pod and the main line from the fuel pump to the fuel rail) and then the tank comes off by lifting up from the front of the tank by the handlebars and out towards the bars to clear the fuel pump area. The air filter is right there under the main part of the tank. I wish I would've took pics of the entire process but I only took the one pic of with the tank off when I was fixing my radiator hose leak this summer. Here is that pic. I never opened up the air cleaner but I assume it is that spot that has the 4 screws at the top.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:27:43 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:30:03 pm »
*Originally Posted by grampom [+]
Where is the air filter located on a 2013SE and how does one go about changing it?  Thanks!  (not particularly mechanically inclined!)
While the books say to change it at 10,000 miles, from what I have read here that would probably be over the top and a waste of time.

Unless you're on dirt roads or in dust storms a lot (IOW, exceptions are very possible).

Otherwise, IMO, the TTSE air filter will probably last half the life of the bike.

Has ANYBODY in this forum REALLY needed an air filter change at 10K miles?

Even at 20K?

If so, was there a reason (such as riding on unpaved roads)?

I would like to know at what mileage a TTSE air filter really needed to be changed--I don't care what the book says. I care about how much garbage is in the air filter, or if getting a new one gave an improvement in performance or MPG or anything.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:24:54 am »
*Originally Posted by atvtinker [+]
janfmiller, once you get past the complete fairing removal there are only a couple of more screws for the gas tank but several hoses that you have to disconnect (small fuel lines to each side pod and the main line from the fuel pump to the fuel rail) and then the tank comes off by lifting up from the front of the tank by the handlebars and out towards the bars to clear the fuel pump area. The air filter is right there under the main part of the tank. I wish I would've took pics of the entire process but I only took the one pic of with the tank off when I was fixing my radiator hose leak this summer. Here is that pic. I never opened up the air cleaner but I assume it is that spot that has the 4 screws at the top.

Yup, I was thankfully mistaken, just took a look at the shop manual and the filter is right under the cover exposed when the tank is 'popped' off..  Good to know, I've got the 20K done and hope to do the rest of the maint myself. 

anyone tackled valve adjustment on their own?   I'm hoping it won't be needed ( my ST1300 never did ) and I'll just get happy results when I check them....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 12:26:50 am »
When I had the 10K done the shop neglected to obtain an air filter and did not change it...   I had the 20K done at nearly 26K miles, and the filter was not too bad they said... 

I did put about 4K on in New Mexico which is pretty dusty, but apparently the bike was fairly uneffected by the time there..
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »
I am very close to 20K and plan on doing my own valves. I will let you know how that little chore goes. I don't think there will be any issues once all of the Tupperware is out of the way. I plan on changing the air filter at that time simply because I will be in there. I have a riding buddy who is a great mechanic (does it for a living) his son races a Triumph triple and they have never had to change a valve shim in three years of hard running. Jim says due to the advances in metallurgy and machining methods that modern valve trains are very good about holding tolerances.