Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: To buy or not to buy?  (Read 11365 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MooMoo

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
  • Country: USA
To buy or not to buy?
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:25:18 am »
I have been wanting a sport tourer for a while but I just can't decide on which one to get.  I like the Trophy, FJR, and the Honda F6B.  I will admit that I have had a long time lust for the FJR.  The Trophy was a close second but I have been concerned with their reliability. Now I like the looks of the F6B but I don't think I want to pay that much for one. That's why I keep coming back to the Trophy. I think it fits perfect between the FJR and the F6B.  I went to the dealer today and they carry both Honda and Triumph.  I sat on the F6B first and it just didn't feel as nice as I thought it would. Then I tried the Trophy and it just felt better to me. So after chatting with the sales guy for a while he quoted me $19,871 OTD for a silver 2014.  Is this a good price and should I not be too concerned about the reliability any longer?

If anyone has any experience with either of the other two would you share with me why you went with the Trophy.


Thanks,
Chris

Offline w8d4it

  • Trophy God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5337
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:41:11 am »
First Chris Welcome to the Forum :400:  I think it only logical to assume that on a Triumph Trophy Forum you are likely to get biased answers.  I would say that many would classify the Trophy as a full on  touring bike not a sport tourer although it will out handle many sporting bikes.   it is hard to opine on the price because I don't know how much of that is tax and fees.  Some states have 8.5 - 9% sales tax.  I will say that with the riding season in the north over prices should be well on the way down even in Florida. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2016
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:01:51 am »
*Originally Posted by MooMoo [+]
I have been wanting a sport tourer for a while but I just can't decide on which one to get.  I like the Trophy, FJR, and the Honda F6B.  I will admit that I have had a long time lust for the FJR.  The Trophy was a close second but I have been concerned with their reliability. Now I like the looks of the F6B but I don't think I want to pay that much for one.
:401:

Only one of those three bikes will go 300 miles on a single tank of gasoline.

As far as looks, I always say to myself . . "do I want to ride it or look at it?"  If I wanted to look at it, I would probably buy the bike I dislike the most--a Harley. Great to look at--but not so great to ride. Ask me how I know. Besides, I find the TTSE to look great--as long as it is blue--of course! :008:

Be sure to read the thread here, are you happy with your Trophy?

It seems to me all the bugs have been worked out already. Good time to buy a TTSE. Mine has not had a single problem since my 500 mile service. Now has around 8,500 miles. Enough miles to go across the country and back and then some  without a single problem of any type.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Bludy L

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1692
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:18 pm »
MooMoo,

Welcome!

In my opinion you're looking at three very different bikes. I'd call the F6B a Sport Cruiser if there is such a category. The FJR is a true Sport Tourer and the Trophy a sporty Tourer.
I've never ridden a F6B but I have a friend who owns a FRJ and we've traded bikes. I strongly considered one. Lots of power but the seating position is a bit to aggressive for these old bones. It was the seating position and protection from the elements that sold the Trophy. Plus I have another Triumph with which I am very happy.

I knew of some issues when I bought but figured what the heck. I did have audio module issues and needed to go in for a few recalls too. Mine is an early 2013 model. I think most of these issues were in the early bikes. I don't see many if any "issue" posts from folks with newer models. I'm lucky enough to have a T100 Bonneville too, so having the Trophy for warranty work was not a big deal for me.

I'd say ride them all and pick the one that makes you smile the most. That's what I did.

If 2015 models aren't on the show room floor they will be soon. My local dealer still has quite a few 2014 Triumphs  and I'm sure he would deal on all of them. If you choose the Trophy I would push for a better deal. I'd offer $18,871 or perhaps even lower. All they can do is say no.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline MooMoo

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
First Chris Welcome to the Forum :400:  I think it only logical to assume that on a Triumph Trophy Forum you are likely to get biased answers.  I would say that many would classify the Trophy as a full on  touring bike not a sport tourer although it will out handle many sporting bikes.   it is hard to opine on the price because I don't know how much of that is tax and fees.  Some states have 8.5 - 9% sales tax.  I will say that with the riding season in the north over prices should be well on the way down even in Florida.

Our sales tax is 7.5% but the thing I don't like is that they are asking $999 for destination and prep.

Offline MooMoo

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:41:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
:401:

Only one of those three bikes will go 300 miles on a single tank of gasoline.

As far as looks, I always say to myself . . "do I want to ride it or look at it?"  If I wanted to look at it, I would probably buy the bike I dislike the most--a Harley. Great to look at--but not so great to ride. Ask me how I know. Besides, I find the TTSE to look great--as long as it is blue--of course! :008:

Be sure to read the thread here, are you happy with your Trophy?

It seems to me all the bugs have been worked out already. Good time to buy a TTSE. Mine has not had a single problem since my 500 mile service. Now has around 8,500 miles. Enough miles to go across the country and back and then some  without a single problem of any type.


-Don-  Reno, NV

The range of the Trophy is one of the reasons It appeals to me and I like the looks of it.

I have read that thread and that is another reason I am feeling better about getting one.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:23:22 pm by MooMoo »

Offline azgman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 726
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:51 pm »
*Originally Posted by MooMoo [+]
Our sales tax is 7.5% but the thing I don't like is that they are asking $999 for destination and prep.

I'm with you on that. Dest and prep should be in the price already. You can easily get another $1000 off the price you were quoted.
Serial BMW rider

Offline MooMoo

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
  • Country: USA
Re: To buy or not to buy?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:17 pm »
*Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
MooMoo,

Welcome!

In my opinion you're looking at three very different bikes. I'd call the F6B a Sport Cruiser if there is such a category. The FJR is a true Sport Tourer and the Trophy a sporty Tourer.
I've never ridden a F6B but I have a friend who owns a FRJ and we've traded bikes. I strongly considered one. Lots of power but the seating position is a bit to aggressive for these old bones. It was the seating position and protection from the elements that sold the Trophy. Plus I have another Triumph with which I am very happy.

I knew of some issues when I bought but figured what the heck. I did have audio module issues and needed to go in for a few recalls too. Mine is an early 2013 model. I think most of these issues were in the early bikes. I don't see many if any "issue" posts from folks with newer models. I'm lucky enough to have a T100 Bonneville too, so having the Trophy for warranty work was not a big deal for me.

I'd say ride them all and pick the one that makes you smile the most. That's what I did.

If 2015 models aren't on the show room floor they will be soon. My local dealer still has quite a few 2014 Triumphs  and I'm sure he would deal on all of them. If you choose the Trophy I would push for a better deal. I'd offer $18,871 or perhaps even lower. All they can do is say no.

Yeah, I agree they are all three a bit different and your discription is spot on.  I have ridden the FJR and I like it but I feel the same way about the forward lean.  Not that it couldn't be corrected with risers but the legs are a bit more reward than on the Trophy.

I don't know if they will come down anymore.  It would be nice if I had another dealer closer by.  The other one is in Daytona and that is about an hour and a half away.  I know that's not too far and I may check with them to see what they can do but the last time I talked to them they seemed pretty tight with the price.

 



tweedy-bunch