Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dangerous Loose Bolt (pics)  (Read 1591 times)

Ndo

Dangerous Loose Bolt (pics)
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:05:28 AM »
...I was cleaning the bike and the nut (pic) was finger loose. I just about freaked. Its a 16mm, you gotta hold the other end bolt. This is showing the right side of the bike. It is easier to put the bike on the sidestand to tighten this bolt.

I don't have the Service Manual yet so I could not torque to specs. I just "good-tight" it until I can look on the SM find the torque value.

Some one else found loose nut/bolts also on his bike...tis the reason I posted this. I might be good to check all your nuts (you can interpret this anyway you like)  before your 500 check...I mean, its always good to check your nuts, is'nt it?  :164:

And while I am in the mood, here is a pic of my 'center-stand trick'. I roll over a 1x little board on the floor. Makes the rear of the bike higher thus easier to put on the center stand. I did not invent this. I copied it from the folks who lower their bike and then have to cut the center stand down...it would be sacrilegious to do that to a TT. I believe you get excommunicated from the Church of England if you lower a TT.

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
Re: Dangerous Loose Bolt (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »
Just checked mine, Its sooo cold here in blighty at the moment they are right tight!!! thanks for the heads-up :002:
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ndo [+]
...I was cleaning the bike and the nut (pic) was finger loose. I just about freaked. Its a 16mm, you gotta hold the other end bolt. This is showing the right side of the bike. It is easier to put the bike on the sidestand to tighten this bolt.

I don't have the Service Manual yet so I could not torque to specs. I just "good-tight" it until I can look on the SM find the torque value.

Some one else found loose nut/bolts also on his bike...tis the reason I posted this. I might be good to check all your nuts (you can interpret this anyway you like)  before your 500 check...I mean, its always good to check your nuts, is'nt it?  :164:

Makes you wonder what a PDI is for!!!!!!!! :435:

And while I am in the mood, here is a pic of my 'center-stand trick'. I roll over a 1x little board on the floor. Makes the rear of the bike higher thus easier to put on the center stand. I did not invent this. I copied it from the folks who lower their bike and then have to cut the center stand down...it would be sacrilegious to do that to a TT. I believe you get excommunicated from the Church of England if you lower a TT.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
Thanks for the warning Ndo. I am a short A""e but have never had problems getting the bike on its centre stand. Getting it off can be a different matter as the bike slides forward as you try to roll it off. I find, in this instance, it best to place my foot on the edge of the stand as I roll the bike forward.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Ndo, for your reference, that bolt on my bike has seven threads showing. That may or may not give you the same torque value. But it's a guide. Be careful about over tightening. There's a danger of pinching or crushing a bushing that I'd guess is in there, preventing it rotating and leading to eventual seizure.
Caoimhín

tweedy-bunch