Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DealerTool problem  (Read 15677 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
DealerTool problem
« on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
I used DealerTool with ease on my laptop with Windows 7 and my Trophy with the old pre-recall ECU. I know I will need a new key for the new ECU so please don't confuse the issue when offering advice. 

I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 and I want to install DealerTool on the new laptop.  Problem is that although the laptop recognizes the dealertool disc it does not auto start.  There are various exe programs on the disc but none of them start any actions that even remotely look like what the PDF says should be on the screen.  Does anyone know how to get this thing to autostart or where to access the exe program which will actually start the installation process. I don't find anything in the PDF addressing the problem.   It isn't the file labeled window installer and it isn't the one labeled setup exe so I'm at a loss where to start.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: DealerTool problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:37:52 am »
Without firing up my 8.1 laptop and looking, I had problems and this was the fix, if it applies to you:

Could you please check the driver version that has installed on your machine:

see attached image for the two items that must be correct
right click on the item and select "properties" - then click on driver.
(see attached image "port.jpg") - it must say 2.8.28.0 or 2.8.24.0 and
both must be the same.

if it has 2.8.30.0 then it will not work.

Disconnect from the internet or stop windows updates.
With the interface installed, go to device manager.
right click on both the below entries and click uninstall, check the
checkbox that says "Delete the driver for this device"
"USB serial port(COMx)"  - under ports
and
"USB SerialConverter" - under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

unplug the interface, wait 5 secs then replug. When the windows message
comes up in the lower right corner of the desktop saying "installing
device driver software, click here for status" - click it and cancel the
driver installation.

now you will have the entry in the device manager with the warning icon.
you can right click and update the 2 drivers to ours. (attached are two
sets of drivers for either 32bit or 64bit windows, you will need to rename
the end of the file from ".file" to ".zip" and then extract to a folder on
your desktop whilst you install)

Please come straight back to us if it does not work for you.

If this seems complicated again come back to us - there is another option
we can use to help.

kind regards
DealerTool
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:45 am »
Janfmiller thanks for this.  Wow I hope that isn't the problem because it sounds pretty complicated.  But more than that the absolute statement that 2.8.30.0 will not work sounds scary because I can guarantee you that if i could install the drivers that would the version I have. However the problem is that I cannot even get the software disc to initialize.  Normally that wouldn't worry me I would just find the exe file and double clock.  Problem is there is more than 1 exe file and none of them start any window that looks like the one referenced in the instructions.  I need to find a way to get the install to start.  After that I can worry if I have the correct drivers. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:35:08 am »
There should be a file on the Disc called "setup.exe"
That is the one to use - follow any instructions that come up,
but don't have the computer connected to the Internet while installing
( e.g. turn Wi-Fi off or disconnect from modem/router ),
to p[revent the incorrect drivers from being loaded.

I don't run Windows 8, and may be way off track here, but I am thinking if your PC doesn't show this file,
it may be a "Security Feature" of Windows 8 ( to stop someone maliciously accessing the computer from a Boot CD ).

Is there a "Right Click" option for your CD Drive that allows you to "Run as Adminisrator"
or "Use Compatability Mode" ? Those might be worth a try ?

Sorry I can't help much more than that.

If you still can't sort it out, send an email to the very helpful guys at DealerTool - "support@dealertool.co.uk" :028:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:00:09 am by Coconut »

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:26 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 and I want to install DealerTool on the new laptop.  Problem is that although the laptop recognizes the dealertool disc it does not auto start.
Have you tried Classic Shell? It gives the Windows 7 look and feel on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I use it here. It can be turned off too, to get back to the Win8 look--which I never even tried to do. Win 7 seems so much easier to use for almost anything.

And if that doesn't work, you can run Windows XP from Windows 8. I can do that too. By using Oracle VM VirtualBox.  But you will need an XP disk to install and run XP from Windows 8. You can try other operating systems, but I have had the best luck with Windows XP running from Windows 8.1.

BTW, I use two monitors  here which makes it even better (XP on one screen, Win 8 with Classic Shell on the other-same computer) but it works on one screen too. Can copy text between operating systems and use CD's and USB drives on both to move files. Very handy to run very old 16 bit programs from Win 8 64 bit that won't work otherwise.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]

I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 and I want to install DealerTool on the new laptop.  Problem is that although the laptop recognizes the dealertool disc it does not auto start. 

Dont know anythng about the dealertool product but check that autostart is enabled on the laptop.  Drag from the right so you get the 'settings' icon, then click settings.  At the very bottom there is a link 'Change PC settings' - go to the top link 'PC and Devices' and then third from bottom is autoplay, make sure it is on

If it then wont autoplay, the issue is something with the disc.  Is it supposed to autoplay.

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »
According to the package I received, the file to run is DealerToolInstaller.exe and that is what I have in my install folder and that is I used.   My other life job was a Systems Admin so I'm pretty handy with this stuff.  Coconut, you may have an older ( or newer? ) version?

I did have the driver problem installing on windoze 8.1 and attaching a couple of screenshots I took of where the info is found.   The proceedure I included before was sent my by DT Tech support and there were very helpful and prompt.  Wasn't a problem with security, but I always am logged in as an administrator, as the primary user usually is in a none-work environment.

Also, if you do not have a CD/DVD drive you must install from a USB stick, the installer will not run properly from your local hard drive as I recall....

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:17:19 pm by janfmiller »
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 07:21:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
Also, if you do not have a CD/DVD drive you must install from a USB stick, the installer will not run properly from your local hard drive as I recall....
Sure it will. Just be sure automatic updates are OFF during  the installation (or do NOT have an internet connection while installing). It won't work with the updates from the internet.

I load my DealerTool  direct from the hard drive.

Also the cable must be connected at the computer or there will be an error.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9