Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Will not start  (Read 3221 times)

Offline BOBS928

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY 900
  • City / Town: BURNLEY
Will not start
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
Hi to all
New member to this site
Ok
I have just bought a Brilliant Triumph Trophy 900 sports Tourer
Year 1994 M registered
I bought the bike from Great Yarmouth
Drove all the way back to Lancashire Burnley no problems, loads and loads of power, never coughed or spluttered once, not smoke or anything
So the day after looking to go for another ride on my brilliant Trophy, unfortunately it took me 3 hours to start, and charging the battery many times plus flooding the engine
Today I have the same problem, as it won’t fire up at all, the engines turns over no problems, but it won’t fire up.
So I am looking for any ideas that it could be, I have some knowledge of cars etc but very limited on this type of bike.
Thanks for reading
Bobs928

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
Re: Will not start
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
I suggest a good service at your local dealer should sort this out, it sounds as if you are not getting a good enough spark at the plugs. One thing to try though if you are getting flooding is to open the throttle fully while starting as this drags loads of air into the cylinders and might clear the excess petrol. Be ready to back it off though if it fires!
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
By the way there is a seperate section on this forum for pre 2002 Trophys, might be a better place to post.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Triumph Trophy

• Admin/Moderator
  • Forum Help & Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
By the way there is a seperate section on this forum for pre 2002 Trophys, might be a better place to post.

Ooops   :034:  , ironically I just deleted that section as we've never ever had any posts in it in nine months :138:

Lets leave this topic here for now, doubt there will be many topics discussing older models as the site is aimed at the new model really.

BOBS928 - we're still happy to have you as a member so feel free to ask questions.

:821:

Offline BOBS928

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY 900
  • City / Town: BURNLEY
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
Hi again
And thank you for your reply emails
The triumph 900, is a lovely bike and in really good condition, it’s racing green and always been garaged, until I have bought where it will sleep on my drive.
As we are in such cold snap weather wise it could just be damp?
I think it just be as simple as spark plugs why the bike is not firing up, but unsure?
I used to have a Suzuki GS 250, and I changed the plugs on that, but the Trophy looks a bit more daunting and difficult to tackle
On the Trophy you have to remove the fairings, pipes and tank before you get to the spark plugs and other bits.
And that might not be the cause of the bike not starting
So unsure of cost to repair or what maybe the cause ,issue ?
Cheers
Bob

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
 It could be the rubber diaphragms in the carbs. worth changing on a bike that old anyway.........

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »
Good morning.

Reading the problem that you describe I would go for two possible points.

Extract one pipe and check if the electrical power is reaching it. This checking is easy to do by pressing the start button while approaching the pipe to any metallic part of the bike (the chassis for example). You should be able to see the sparks blinking and "jumping" from the pipe to the chassis. If it works, and assuming that the spark plugs are in a "sufficient" good conditions (not greased, not too used), then the problem is clear for me: the fuel pump.

In an old bike if you have sparks in the plugs and the engine moves freely when pressing the start button the origin of the problem is the fuel pump in most of the occassions.

Try to extract the little pipe (rubber tube) that is the exit of the fuel pump. When pressing the start button you should see how the gasoline comes out. If not, there is the problem.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion.