Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Ride Planned - August 2015 - Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona  (Read 5297 times)

Offline CaptDenny

• Trophy Member
  • The Blue Beast
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fort Collins CO
Hey, if you're a Trophy rider (or not)...I'm beginning to put together preliminary ride plans for a ride leaving northern Colorado (Fort Collins) next August.  Day 1 has us departing early from northern Colorado and heading west into Utah where we'll stop for the night at Green River.  Day 2 takes us through majestic central and southern Utah scenery and into southern Nevada.  After heading north on US 93 we'll stop and sleep in Alamo.  Day 3 we ride US 375, better known as the Extraterrestrial Highway and visit the Little A'Le'Inn (Inn and restaurant) and ride on to visit Tonopah.  This 160+ mile stretch of raw desert between Alamo and Tonopah has an excellent paved roadway, but no cell connectivity, no water, no fuel, and not many places to stop to eat.  We will top off our tanks in Alamo and again in Tonopah.  After leaving Alamo, we can stop along the way to eat/drink at the Little A'Le'Inn (which is due NW from Area 51) but from what I hear it isn't so great.  Following lunch in Tonopah, it's south through Las Vegas and into Kingman AZ where we'll stop for the night.  Day 4 has us heading southeast across Arizona and into Tombstone for a great night of western history and enjoying places like Big Nose Kate's and the Oriental Palace.  Day 5 we'll head north to ride Devil's Highway which is the old US 666. This road has a wild and haunted history regarding the happenings that witnesses have reported to occur on this road.  Everything from phantom hitchhikers to the Lady in White and Hell Hounds.  The road number was changed awhile back and is now named US 191.  This freaky, but killer biker-road will take us up to Bluff, NV where we'll spend our 5th night.  Day 6 has you getting up and hitting the road (at whatever time you like) to head home in whichever particular direction gets you there.  Should be a great 5 day ride, hopefully dry with warm weather (hot at times) with a lot of road time (2,735 miles round trip to/from Fort Collins) and with some great places to see and enjoy.  Daily average miles ridden (x 6 days) is approximately 455.  Some longer, some shorter.  Eaaaasy to do on the Trophy and this gives us plenty of "fuel, rest, stretch it out and see the sights" type of stops along the way.

I intend to have a ride itinerary developed so that riders can join up on the ride at any location/time along the route.  You can also bailout and go you're own way at any time.  Whatever you do is up to you.  If you intend to remain with the group during longer sections of the ride, I need to know what sections and if you'll require lodging at our intended nightly stops.  I can coordinate group lodging at what may be a lower nightly cost, or you can arrange your own lodging/camping.  Just state your intentions when you contact me.  Much more to follow as the time passes and the ride date gets closer.  Ride date is TBD.

If interested, reply or send me a pm.  It's a bit early to begin planning the logistics, lodging, etc., but it is a good time to begin putting together a list of interested riders.  Suggestions, comments, POIs, eateries and things to see (that I or others may not know about) are encouraged and welcomed.  All riders and bikes welcome, even if you ride a Hog :).

Thanks and hope to see you on the road :062:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:01:58 pm by CaptDenny »
CaptDenny
2004 Sprint 1050
2007 Rocket III
2008 Speedmaster
Next - New 2015 Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: New Ride Planned - August 2015 - Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:08:47 am »
*Originally Posted by CaptDenny [+]
leaving Alamo, we can stop along the way to eat/drink at the Little A'Le'Inn (which is due NW from Area 51) but from what I hear it isn't so great.
Don't order  a pork chop there. It was so dry and lousy that it was difficult to eat. It's not really even a restaurant, but the woman there can cook (or, should I say attempt to cook?) some food. More than likely, nobody else will even be eating there while you're in there. You might even be the only customers there unless you're there on a weekend.  And even then it's a maybe.

It's been several years since I have been in the lovely town of Rachel, NV, so things could have changed since then. But I kinda doubt it. I have been there several times, but not recently.

Always have some food and  water with you out in that area. It can be hot and dry and you might not see another vehicle for an hour or longer. And there's no cell service or anything in the entire general area near Rachel (regardless of who your cell provider is).

But it's a nice ride, but things can go wrong, so be prepared. There is no gas station in Rachel, but I have heard that they sometimes have a few gallons of gasoline in gas containers. And Rachel is the only "town" for many miles in any direction.

Last known total population in Rachel was 98 people.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »
Not to rain on your parade but do you realize it will be WELL over 100 degrees in Nevada and Arizona at that time of year? Bring plenty of water (a camelback would be recommended) and cover your skin. 110 degree air flowing over your skin will cook you like a convection oven.

If you want the cowboy theme at that time of year, head to Prescott instead of Tombstone as it will be much cooler.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:53:13 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline CaptDenny

• Trophy Member
  • The Blue Beast
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fort Collins CO
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:41 pm »
Sure, it'll be hot.  That's just part of the desert ride experience (don't stand in one place too long and keep moving).  Those who plan to come along, recommend you begin the trip with fresh 15W50 in your engine, 75W140 in your FD, and I use a 55/45 water to G5 coolant in hot weather.

I'd rather be hot and have to cool off with some a/c and a beer than be cold and try to warm up with a hot chocolate.

It's always an adventure...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:15:56 am by CaptDenny »
CaptDenny
2004 Sprint 1050
2007 Rocket III
2008 Speedmaster
Next - New 2015 Trophy SE

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
Re: New Ride Planned - August 2015 - Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:03 am »
I rode through Rachel, NV a few years ago and ended up spending the night in the motel, such that it is. I really had no choice since I didn't have the range on my old Yamaha Venture to make the next town. Plus there was  thunderstorm to the west right in my path and thought it best to stop for the night. I had a hamburger that was fine. The motel consisted of one of the rooms in a mobile home. It was a little disconcerting but I woke up alive in the morning with all my gear intact. The next morning I waited for the store/gas station to open and after a fill-up, I was on my way. Definitely a place to stop for pictures if nothing else. Now with my TT I would have the range to avoid a gas stop.
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:22:31 am »
*Originally Posted by ISU Cyclone [+]
I rode through Rachel, NV a few years ago and ended up spending the night in the motel, such that it is. I really had no choice since I didn't have the range on my old Yamaha Venture to make the next town. Plus there was  thunderstorm to the west right in my path and thought it best to stop for the night. I had a hamburger that was fine. The motel consisted of one of the rooms in a mobile home. It was a little disconcerting but I woke up alive in the morning with all my gear intact. The next morning I waited for the store/gas station to open and after a fill-up, I was on my way. Definitely a place to stop for pictures if nothing else. Now with my TT I would have the range to avoid a gas stop.
Is there now a real gas station in Rachel?

BTW, if the fuel tank in the TTSE were as small as in my 84 Venture, I would NOT have purchased the TTSE. A large fuel tank (and miles per tank), is the MOST important thing to me with any bike. You can understand why, since you have experienced the middle of Nevada.

I know there are ways to carry extra gasoline, but I don't like to bother with such.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 05:03:46 am »
It was July 2006 when I rode through Rachel so the gas station may have long since closed. The lady who drove  around 7:30 in the morning looked like she was in her 80s. I guess I need to male another trip through that part of the country and check it out. sounds like a good excuse for a trip to me. :046:
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:43:52 am »
*Originally Posted by ISU Cyclone [+]
It was July 2006 when I rode through Rachel so the gas station may have long since closed. The lady who drove  around 7:30 in the morning looked like she was in her 80s. I guess I need to male another trip through that part of the country and check it out. sounds like a good excuse for a trip to me. :046:
I just now found the answer in a web search. See here.

"The gas station in Rachel is closed. The nearest gas stations are 50 miles south in Ash Springs and 110 miles north in Tonopah."

IOW, be glad you're on a TTSE, just in case they have no gas in Ash Springs, or if it's closed when you get there. Piece of cake on a TTSE if it's open. Tonopah will always have gas. That's a real town.

-Don- Reno, NV
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:54:28 am by DonTom »