Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Touring bike I can't take out of town  (Read 31243 times)

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Touring bike I can't take out of town
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:09:55 am »
I've had the Trophy since July and love most things about it but like everyone else (it seems) I have charging issues. 
The battery was replaced after leaving me stranded at work on a Saturday night, one week exactly after taking delivery. Over the course of the next month or 2 the battery would drain and require charging every couple weeks- first clue was "audio not found" then the TES would take forever to adjust, then the bike just wouldn't start.  I realized that by leaving my ipod plugged in it was probably a constant drain, so once I unplugged when not in use that issue went away.
But... now after long rides it dies after a couple days.  Several weeks ago I did an iron butt.  1130 miles in 19 hours.  About 3 hours in I got the "audio not found."  Bike started fine the next day but the day after that it was dead.  Charged it, took it in, and the dealer said everything checked out fine.  Last week I did a 300 mile run and same thing.  Half way in, audio not found.  Next day started fine, day after that dead.
Going for another long ride next weekend, and when I get the error message I'll take it in but man, is this getting old. 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Touring bike I can't take out of town
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
There has been a lot of discussion about this.  Do a search for the terms audio + module. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:29 am »
Thanks, I've read it all.  Actually read it all before I bought the bike and have brought it to the service manager's attention and will again when I take it in.
Just venting, I guess.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:07 am »
There is also a SW update 1.04E that my be of interest.  It has been posted about in a couple of threads if you want o do a search
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:22:11 am »
*Originally Posted by Ender1912 [+]
I've had the Trophy since July and love most things about it but like everyone else (it seems) I have charging issues. 
I know I am going to jinx myself here, but in the year I have had my TTSE, I have not yet had a single charging issue or audio module draining problem. Still stock battery is fine.

If you are using the battery power connector (under left side of fairing) for  GPS power, an indication that your battery is draining is the GPS won't power down when the ignition is turned off. The power for that connector comes from the audio module and at least one person in this forum noticed the GPS would not power down when this problem happened. That can alert you to remove the audio fuse to stop the drain.

I guess you know that there is a very recent  audio module software update to fix this problem, if you have read the threads.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »
I feel your pain. I rode my usual 150 miles for breakfast Sunday morning. Everything about the bike was working great. Monday morning...dead as a stone. This is the forth time its done this. Each time it takes the battery 48 hours to recharge. Luckily, I've been home every time its done this.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:26:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
I feel your pain. I rode my usual 150 miles for breakfast Sunday morning. Everything about the bike was working great. Monday morning...dead as a stone. This is the forth time its done this. Each time it takes the battery 48 hours to recharge. Luckily, I've been home every time its done this.
What are you using for a charger? How much charging current? It shouldn't take 24 hours unless your charging current is way too low and the battery then loads down the charger. And those deep discharges from a cycle battery destroys the battery fast.

It also could be that you're charging the battery as the bike is discharging it, causing it to take much longer to charge and then no doubt, you will have the problem again and again. Then it will charge up much faster if battery is disconnected from the bike, but that doesn't solve any problem. You might want to try removing the audio fuse and see if that helps, and just live without any radio until you find out if that it the drain problem.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »
I had similar issues until Triumph replaced the audio module under the warranty. Knock on wood, no problems since.  Be vigilant and insist that Triumph fix the problem.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch