Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heat  (Read 5459 times)

Offline carlh

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Terrebonne, Oregon
Heat
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:59 pm »
Well, I have managed to get 600 miles on my new SE, in between rain and snow storms.  I have noticed a few comments about engine heat on riders lower legs/ankles.  I will need to make a decision in the early spring about shipping my SE or H-D Ultra across the country for a return ride.  Should I let peoples "heat comments" influence my decision?  If you have summer experience, let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.
Carl

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:57:53 pm »
I have been riding for more than 40 years.  At the moment I ride primarily in the South.  I find the heat on my ankles to be excessive.  If I wear short boots or sneakers I have to wear long socks otherwise my ankles will be very uncomfortable to the point of lightly burned.  I know that others have said they have experienced no discomfort which surprises me. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:31 pm »
I live in southern AZ... hot as hell. I always ride with motorcycle boots and overpants and have not noticed any excessive heat (actually any heat at all). Triumph has done a good job of copying the BMW RT heat management design so the only heat I could see being radiated at your feet is coming off of the transmission casing. YMMV as evidenced by the comments from W8d4it
Serial BMW rider

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »
G'day Mate,

I live in SE QLD Australia where the climate in Spring, Summer, and Autumn is generally sunny and hot. There is a bit of heat generated from the TTSE left side. With riding boots and riding pants/ jeans this heat is bearable; more so than my Ducati ST3 which was a real 'nut roaster' and the Sprint ST that scorched my right leg and bum in Summer.

In summary Triumph has done a good job of deflecting engine heat away from the body. May I suggest you keep the screen down and wear a mesh jacket on hot rides to maintain airflow. On recommendation of friends I'm investing in an evaporative riding vest.

Enjoy the ride.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:31 pm »
So the common theme I see is that those that wear boots which cover their ankles experience no or marginal discomfort.   While I have the same experience I must admit that I am frequently guilty of riding with only sneakers, jeans and mesh (with armor) jacket.  The heat from the Trophy soaks through those socks and jeans but I can live with it.  However if I wear only ankle length socks my ankles will burn, and I mean literally.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:26 pm »
Interesting.  I too live in SE QLD Australia (33C here today which is around 91F - last week we had a couple of 42C days which is about 107F and its not summer yet).  I regularly or almost always ride in jeans and low shoes (like sneakers) and usually have only thin socks and sometimes ankle socks.  There are times when I feel some warmth on my right ankle but its no where near uncomfortable (and I find the air from the BMW boxer R or GS to be uncomfortable).  What I find on the Trophy is that if I shift my foot a little I can comfortably get it in cool air, out of the engine warmth flow.  I should say that I have the R&G bars so they may make a difference to the airflow.

Paul

Offline carlh

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Terrebonne, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:22 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  I am no stranger to the heat generated from my Harley and unless I am stuck in traffic, it is survivable.  I do use a cool vest on the hot days of summer if needed, but was worried the calves and ankles might be an issue.  Going to ship the bike from Portland, OR to Knoxville, TN and ride the Tail of the Dragon.  Then back to Chicago and do Route 66 to Santa Monica, CA returning to Central Oregon.  The jury is still out on whether it will be the Harley or the Trophy (which I am liking a lot).  Could always wrap my legs in foil in an emergency, huh.   :005:  Thanks again for all your input.
Carl

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:55:45 pm »
I rode my Trophy to Key West, Florida and Texas Hill Country this past summer. Both areas were a tad on the hot side. I was more comfy on the TT than I was on the BMW RT that I traded in. As someone here has stated I got heat around my left ankle, but not an issue compared to other bikes I have owned.

tweedy-bunch