Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No oil pressure  (Read 6998 times)

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
No oil pressure
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:47 am »
This morning I was going to ride to work since the roads are clear of ice and with snow predicted for tonight, I figured this might be my last chance for a few months. The temperature was in the low teens Fahrenheit but had been in single digits during the night. The bike started right up but the red oil pressure light came on and stayed on. There was also a warning of low oil pressure. I shut it down, waited a few seconds and tried it again. Same thing. I tried it about 4 time with the same result. I thought it might have been a computer problem but the engine didn't sound right, so I gave up. I tried again tonight and everything was fine. The temperature had risen to the mid 20's F by then.I have ridden in a lot cold temperatures without any problems in the past but I hadn't run the bike in a couple weeks this time. Anyone else had this issue?
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: No oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:01 am »
*Originally Posted by ISU Cyclone [+]
This morning I was going to ride to work since the roads are clear of ice and with snow predicted for tonight, I figured this might be my last chance for a few months. The temperature was in the low teens Fahrenheit but had been in single digits during the night. The bike started right up but the red oil pressure light came on and stayed on. There was also a warning of low oil pressure. I shut it down, waited a few seconds and tried it again. Same thing. I tried it about 4 time with the same result. I thought it might have been a computer problem but the engine didn't sound right, so I gave up. I tried again tonight and everything was fine. The temperature had risen to the mid 20's F by then.I have ridden in a lot cold temperatures without any problems in the past but I hadn't run the bike in a couple weeks this time. Anyone else had this issue?
Did you check to see if  your oil level is normal? Was the bike fairly level when the warning came on?

But this is the first I have heard of an oil related problem on a TTSE.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:41:24 am »
It would be very interesting to get to the bottom of this i am sure for you but for us also.  But i think a trip to a dealer is important.  With  most engines if the light is on it means very low pressure and if riding too late to stop and cause no damage.  As you say if sensor or computer problem at least the engine will be ok.  But it needs to be reported to triumph so they know it has been reported for future claims.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:47:53 am »
I have started the Trophy is below freezing conditions, and no oil pressure warning. The bike had been overnight outside with ice all over it, probably -5c or lower.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:49:38 pm »
Put the bike on the center stand, get a good flashlight and have a look at the oil level site glass. How does the oil look both in terms of level and color?
Serial BMW rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:01 pm »
... further to other posts - if the Oil Pressure light is still on,
DON'T ride it to the Dealer - this can cause serious damage to the engine,
which is then unlikely to be covered by Warranty  :005:

See below image from the Owners Handbook  :028:

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:22:49 pm »
I hate intermittent problems! Could be temperature related I suppose? Please keep us posted.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline traveler46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Iowa
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:10:04 am »

For the engine to have no oil pressure would usually mean the oil pump went belly up which is pretty uncommon with any motor. I would guess the low temperature you have had probably affected the sensor for the oil pressure. I live about 25 miles from you and temps are predicted for the 40's sometime this weekend. You might want to start the engine and if the oil light goes off as normal may indicate it is the cold weather affecting the sensor. Barry

tweedy-bunch