Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: accuracy of the tpms  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
accuracy of the tpms
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:27:42 pm »
When I check the tires and top them up with air using a tire pressure gauge, the TPMS always  indicated a higher pressure than the gauge, several to 5 pounds. Does anyone else see this? Which do I trust?
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: accuracy of the tpms
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »
My rather pricey gauge and the TPMS give identical readings when the tires are cold. The TPMS numbers go up when the tires start warming up and at full operating temps will be five or six pounds over cold temps. Short answer, the TPMS on my Trophy is accurate with my gauge.

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »
My findings are much the same as NavyDad

The TPMS and the gauge agree when the tyres are cold
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se
  • City / Town: N.E florida
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »
my front tp shows 4 pounds higher and the rear shows 2 pounds lower.that is using a high $ racing gauge even a $10 electronic gauge is fairly accurate. I would not use the tp to adjust  tire pressure

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »
Using the TPMS to adjust Tyre pressure would be a painful process as it only displays when under-way. I always thought of it as a safety feature rather than anything else. It has already informed me of a slow puncture mid ride before I felt a real difference in handling. I see that as its only  function
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
I understand that once the tires warm up the pressure will be higher.

Yesterday before I went for a ride I checked the tire pressure because on the previous ride the TPMS indicated that the pressure was a bit low. When I checked with a rather inexpensive gauge it indicated the the pressure as quite low! Something like 35 front and 30 rear. So I adjusted the pressure to 36 front, 42 rear using my ranter inexpensive gauge. When I set out on the ride I set the computer to indicate TPMS. As soon as the values came up they were something like 47 and 41. I believe they even climbed a bit higher as the ride progressed. I've questioned the accuracy of the TPMS or my gauge before.

My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
My rather pricey gauge and the TPMS give identical readings when the tires are cold. The TPMS numbers go up when the tires start warming up and at full operating temps will be five or six pounds over cold temps. Short answer, the TPMS on my Trophy is accurate with my gauge.

Same with mine.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
I originally thought that the TPMS was always showing too low pressures, but turns out it is the 'good' gauge I was using at home was reading high by 4 psi. Funnily enough the pencil guage I have had for years and now carry on the bike is as accurate as a couple of digital gages I have, but another pencil gauge I got as a freebie is very inaccurate.

tweedy-bunch