Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Seat Height - Am I crazy ?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Warrington UK
Seat Height - Am I crazy ?
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:18:36 pm »
Just moved from a 1050 Sprint with published seat height of 31.7in to my new Trophy with seat height on low setting at 30.3in (according to spec)

Firstly it keeled over on me on my test drive (foot in pothole !) and it just feels a lot more difficult to plant both feet at lights than the Sprint did. Seem to be more on balls of feet.

Am I missing something here - I am sure I have the seat adjusted right to the low setting, is it I just havent got used to it yet or maybe the Sprint seat (15K miles) was just that one inch more "settled" over time.

Am going to persevere and experiment more with position before considering low seat/lowering but just doesn't feel super safe somehow

Anyone else had a similar feeling when moving to a Trophy from something else with a so called similar published spec
2014 Trophy Se
1971 Honda 500 Four K0

I'll just be 5 minutes !!!!

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
Re: Seat Height - Am I crazy ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:25:41 pm »
Do you think the Trophy seat is wider than the Sprint's?  A wider seat will splay your legs out more even with a lower seat height.  I also am not flat footed on the Trophy with the seat in the normal position.  I tried it in the lower seat position but the seat to peg distance wasn't as comfortable.

The height doesn't bother me too much since my Tiger 1050 is even higher in seat height than the Trophy and I must have gotten used to it.   However, the Trophy is much more top heavy than my other Triumphs which does lead to some insecurity when you can't flat foot it when stopped.

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:27:20 pm »
Went from a Sprint GT to the Trophy.  Agree with you completely, I found the same.  I guess its cos the seat is wider, thus lifting one's legs up slightly more.

I'm 6' tall and found that I was not flat footing the bike. I have gotten  used to it now.  I'm sure you will too.  Good Luck!

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline paulbaker1954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Warrington UK
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:45:55 pm »
thanks Garry I think the theory about wider seat sounds bang on. I will persevere as have only done a few miles so far  :002:
2014 Trophy Se
1971 Honda 500 Four K0

I'll just be 5 minutes !!!!

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:49:55 pm »
I can tell you it is easier to flatfoot a Trophy than a 2007 BMW R1200RT. Wear boots and just lean the bike to the left a little until your left foot hits the ground. I keep my right foot on the brake when I stop and rarely use two feet. (maybe with a fidgeting passenger or on a highly crowned road)

I have a 32" inseam BTW.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 01:35:14 am »
Something else to take into account when measuring the seat height on the Trophy is the suspension adjustment.
I'm not sure what suspension setting the factory uses to determine seat height, but the seat will be at its lowest when adjusted for rider only and no luggage. It makes a small, but noticeable, difference for me.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:01:50 am »
I have a Sprint ST and a Trophy. I've never bothered to look at the specs and have always assume the spec for the ST is lower because for certain it is much easier to reach the ground on it than on the Trophy
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:35 am »
Initially I was very concerned about the height and was overly careful at all stops. Now I am more confident but I'm still a little cautious at stops.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.