FS: Russell Day Long front and rear seats in gray leather by fluxxcomp
[Today at 01:26:47 am]

Major help needed by hp006
[Yesterday at 06:07:21 pm]

Plastic headlamp cover by strathroy
[Yesterday at 06:03:17 pm]

Not bored, just interested. by Merritt64
[Yesterday at 03:50:14 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Salt application policy  (Read 2559 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Salt application policy
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »
Am I the only person baffled by the policies applied by some Local Authorities when it comes to applying salt to the roads? Today is a really good example. In Cheshire the days has been cold - a great day to be out in the bike - with very dry roads. That was until about 3:00pm when the salt wagons started their routes. As a result of which now (at 9:00pm) the roads are greasy from the application of damp salt.
Now I can understand that were it to rain there are a lot of people out there who need their hands holding as they cannot work out that the road will get slippery and that they would need to slow down. In the increasing litigious climate the Local Authorities appear to be liable for too many things- which is perhaps why they spend too little on repairing potholes. None of this explains to me why we need salt on a dry road when the forecast is "cold and dry". The salt is hygroscopic so it absorbs what little moisture there is and remains damp. I understand that some authorities are now adding molasses to the salt to make it stay on the road longer :151: I am seeing and increasing number of bikes presented for the ACF50 treatment that I do with "tar" spots and many of these turn out to be baked molasses :157:

I see a marked difference in approach when I ride in different counties (Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire etc.). Does anyone know what the rules are that the authorities have to follow?
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Re: Salt application policy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:41 pm »
Do you think they actually have rules  :164:

With the standard of the road repairs  it has crossed my mind that they do it to prevent frost causing further damage rather than for road safety but I'm a born conspiracy theorist.

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »
*Originally Posted by sin_tiger [+]
Do you think they actually have rules  :164:

With the standard of the road repairs  it has crossed my mind that they do it to prevent frost causing further damage rather than for road safety but I'm a born conspiracy theorist.
They are bureaucrats - they are bound to have procedures, operating manuals etc. As for frost damage? perhaps, but what damage does the salt do? Drying, crystallizing salt would appear to me to be as potentially damaging as frost?? I know that when water freezes it expands etc. but what are the chemical effects of the extended salt exposure on the macadam? I am not a chemist so I would be fascinated to learn more
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:20:01 am »
My own opinions :015: are that it's all a guessing game, together with a bit of gambling  :087:

The "Grit" ( Road salt & Sand ) is purchased by the various Councils / Highways authorities in advance -
the quantity purchased is a gamble depending on how bad the winter weather is predicted to be.

If they don't buy enough and run out, they get criticised by the motorists who get delayed
on roads that have not been "gritted", but if they buy too much, they get criticised
for wasting money / spending too much from the ever decreasing budgets available.

On a daily basis again it's a gamble based mainly on the weather forecast,
which as we all know is never 100% accurate. 

Then you have to factor in how much Grit they have in stock,
compared with their predictions for usage throughout the Season.

If it is near the end of the Season and stocks are still high, I think it's it is more likely
that some roads will be Gritted, than say, mid-Season when stocks are getting low.

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:55 pm »
Threeup,

You think you have it rough, you should visit Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.  We live on a bed of salt from mid-November through the end of March.  Vehicles here experience corrosion at a rate not seen anywhere else.  The salt gets everywhere and in every nook and cranny. Here you have to wait for good weather and at least two heavy rains before the streets are clear enough to ride without placing the long term health of your bike at risk.

The Trophy is in the garage with the battery tender on until spring.

The bright side is, more time to enjoy a good cigar and a good drink.

ZShyster :821: