Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Radio aerial  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Havant
Radio aerial
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »
Hi guys,

Funny thing....while I had the front end in pieces fitting a zumo 590 (nice price of kit by the way), I noticed that at the base of the aerial on my SE there is a black stub which in inspection is a long thread at the base of the aerial. I can't see any wires that would indicate that there actual aerial wire attached to the aerial!

Has anyone else seen this?

Mark
TTSE 2017... Blue - the new Red!!!
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Radio aerial
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:55:46 am »
*Originally Posted by Stumpyone [+]
Hi guys,

Funny thing....while I had the front end in pieces fitting a zumo 590 (nice price of kit by the way), I noticed that at the base of the aerial on my SE there is a black stub which in inspection is a long thread at the base of the aerial. I can't see any wires that would indicate that there actual aerial wire attached to the aerial!

Has anyone else seen this?

Mark
Myself being a retired radio technician, you got me curious so I  checked my TTSE antenna and saw nothing unusual.

Look at the coaxial cable that is to the left of the base nut just under the plastic, but before the very  bottom of the antenna. The longer thinner wire is the ground for the coaxial cable, the thicker part has  the center conductor that goes to the antenna. The antenna itself has no ground and does not need such. Only the ends of the coax needs to be grounded, which it is. But the bottom of the base of the antenna  where this nut is located, might look like a ground connection, but it is not. That is the "hot" lead to the antenna.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:29 am »
Cheers DonTom. I'll have another look.

Mark
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:18:02 pm »
This worried me for a minute... thankfully we have a fantastic line of professionals here, ready & waiting to offer quick & easy answers :002:

:460:

While on this subject, I've noticed this aerial does flap around if positioned anywhere other than it's rear most setting. Not a show stopper though.
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:13 am »
"I've noticed this aerial does flap around if positioned anywhere other than it's rear most setting"

I did not know there were settings for the aerial.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »
I have found that I needed to move the antenna slightly forward of the rearmost position and slightly to the outside to achieve perfect harmonic bliss when blasting down the freeway. It used to oscillate like crazy as it was set from the dealer and now is barely moves at all.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »
hi guys,

not really seen any flapping but am touring in Wales this weekend so will keep an eye out for that as I will be exploring the throttle range of the bike!!!!!  Know what I mean!. Easy enough to adjust that while away from home base!!!

Cheers

Stumpyone
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:20:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]

While on this subject, I've noticed this aerial does flap around if positioned anywhere other than it's rear most setting. Not a show stopper though.

Weird, I have experienced the complete opposite.  With antenna in the most rearward position, it flops around like a fish out of water.   But in the most forward position, no flopping.
Fyi:  I have the cal-sci shorty windshield.