Hi from a Newbie here in the South of England by HACKLE
[Today at 01:55:01 am]

A saturday afternoon ride through the country by iowabikerider
[Today at 01:40:24 am]

My big day by speighty58
[Yesterday at 10:05:41 pm]

Signal Dynamics Backoff Headlight by Rick505
[Yesterday at 04:30:11 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lane splitting petition  (Read 6694 times)

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Lane splitting petition
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »
Please consider signing and re-posting this plea to give the US the same sensible option that our brothers and sisters in Europe have!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-motorcycle-lane-sharing-all-public-roads/qP86QbjN
Serial BMW rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Lane splitting petition
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:11:49 am »
While I applaud the idea road rules are by state as the petition itself notes.  I don't see this has having much more than symbolic value.  Seems as if it would be better to have petitions by state. Hard to do yes, but more effective.  Also write your governor,  local state representative and state senator.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:22:51 am »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
Please consider signing and re-posting this plea to give the US the same sensible option that our brothers and sisters in Europe have!
I heard that it is only legal in CA if riding  at less than 25 MPH. That includes the freeway when traffic is at near a stop. IAC. less than 25 MPH in all cases, to be legal. This old law is for air cooled bikes that would sometimes overheat in traffic. Perhaps even CA will soon change this law. It seems most simply think lane splitting is legal in CA without knowing the rest of the law WRT such.

Everybody I know who has driven in Europe tells me that drivers are MUCH more skillful over there, with not only tougher vehicle laws, but it's even a lot tougher to get and keep a driver's license than here in the USA.

I wonder if our European friends here agree. IOW, USA drivers don't drive all that well by comparison.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:30:28 am »
It's not actually legal in California, it's just not illegal...  Seriously!  There are no actual laws regarding what speed you can split lanes, or any other laws relating to it for that matter.  The CHP came out with a set of guidelines about a year ago, but then there were objections from someone or other, and they pulled back the guidelines.  They were actually pretty good common sense rules!
STONEY

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:34 am »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
I heard that it is only legal in CA if riding  at less than 25 MPH.

Filtering is only legal at low speed in the UK.  Riding between traffic at any higher speed is likely to get a ticket for driving 'without due care and attention'.

Having worked in Paris, the scooter riders have great skill at weaving in and out of traffic at speed.  They are a complete nightmare to manage!

I often filter on my way to and from work as I get into the town centre.  It's a useful tool in my motorcycling armoury, but I have to remain very vigilant as not may car drivers expect a motorcycle driving on the inside.  I also lived on Texas so Im used to traffic overtaking on both sides, but this is a 'foreign' concept in the UK.

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:44:51 am »
*Originally Posted by Stoney [+]
It's not actually legal in California, it's just not illegal...  Seriously!  There are no actual laws regarding what speed you can split lanes, or any other laws relating to it for that matter.  The CHP came out with a set of guidelines about a year ago, but then there were objections from someone or other, and they pulled back the guidelines.  They were actually pretty good common sense rules!
While no law means it's legal (no need to pass a law to make something legal unless it's already illegal), it seems you are right. Seems I heard wrong, as I just looked it up here.

I don't know if I agree that lane changing is usually safer. I think that depends on too many factors to make such a claim. But who should decide, us or our government?  I have mixed feelings about the issue, but I very rarely do any lane splitting.  I try to ride in places where such will rarely be  necessary.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:01:09 am »
Don, like you, I try not to ride in areas where lane-splitting would be useful.  Although I'm only about 30 miles north of L.A., Ventura County has relatively light traffic compared to my neighbors to the south.  I rarely venture in that direction, and if I do, I stay away from 'rush hour', which is almost all day anymore!  On top of the traffic, our lanes are a bit narrower than most of the country (just ask a truck driver!), so there's not much room left for our wide rides between cars!  Lane-splitting is not for me, but I'm fine with others doing it, as long as it's done safely.
STONEY

Offline GolforRide

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Coquitlam
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 02:01:21 am »
  :087: I would rather be late than lane split, particularly on a bike that big!
I have seen too many videos of idiots doing it and innocent people being knocked off their bikes due to other people's inability to notice a bike.
The last time I was in California  going from LA to Palm Springs heading back people were bumper to bumper doing 80+mph and bikes were lane splitting, I have never been more concerned for my safety.

But to each their own
Please take my opinion, I'm not using it!!!

tweedy-bunch