Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS Battery low  (Read 31671 times)

Offline wayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se 1215
  • City / Town: Sunderland
Re: TPMS Battery low
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »
All batteries will fail at some point, therefore in the equipment design stage care must be taken to make replacement as easy as possible. IE. watch batteries. These are not soldered but are held in place by spring holders secured in a metal case. Easy to take out and easy to put in.

However cost comes into the equation. These monitors have been designed to be a disposable item, a very expensive one at that. It would have been so easy to use a battery case ( watch type ) for locating the battery. They certainly work for watches and they have to endure a lot of shock and vibration in their lifetime. It might be possible to modify the TPMS case to fit such a holder in place.

Cheers,
Wayne

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
Hat’s off to you Wayne for sharing your expertise on this subject. I am having a similar problem with a SENA intercom. It seems like Manufacturers sometimes alienate their Customers over something that should be as simple as a battery replacement, in search of bigger profits. One wonders if they understand how much distrust they generate by those actions...

Capitalism stinks doesn't it, what a waste of materials in general, filling up landfill sites, ruining the planet/environment etc.

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
Just drifted on here after a long break and can not be bothered to read all 15 pages, suffice to say the batteries are replaceable.... WITH CARE (when tyres being changed for example).
I have done 4 sets of TPMS at only the cost of the batteries 2032 (couple of quid).
Followed links from Kawasaki concours 14 TPMS battery change,  same type of wheel sensor.
I used plain batteries and soldered wire tails on to attach to strips but further new searches have come up with a guy 'curtis konie' on you tube who has taken our type of TPMS and added a reusable battery holder.
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1215 [+]
Just drifted on here after a long break and can not be bothered to read all 15 pages, suffice to say the batteries are replaceable.... WITH CARE (when tyres being changed for example).
I have done 4 sets of TPMS at only the cost of the batteries 2032 (couple of quid).
Followed links from Kawasaki concours 14 TPMS battery change,  same type of wheel sensor.
I used plain batteries and soldered wire tails on to attach to strips but further new searches have come up with a guy 'curtis konie' on you tube who has taken our type of TPMS and added a reusable battery holder.

This is the video I take it,....in the comments I see that using a motherboard battery with wires already attached is mentioned but aren't all these rechargeable types? If they are I wonder how long one would last in this application??
Just a thought if anyone is going to go down that route. :002: 

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2019, 11:35:35 PM »
bought my bike in 2013 have have done a relaxed 38,000 plus miles.   The read TPMS started to show low battery at about 25,000. so as I had to get a new tyre I had the TPMS changed at the same time.   The front TPMS has been showing for about two months but the actual pressure is still being displayed and it correct as far as I can tell.  I still have a few miles on the front tyre so I will not be changing the tyre or the TPMS on the front for a while.   I rely on the TOMS very much and will change the front when it finally fails.    hopefully the new ones will last another 6 years.

Phil 

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »
I simply used CR2032 without the tags on (cheap as chips) NOT specifically motherboard batts and soldered two short wires on to replace tags, (HOT iron with fine point both tinned and short contact, no overheat!).
Set that are on my TTSE are now 14 months and still reading OK.
After doing the fix on 4 sets of TPMS (all triumphs) I shall be changing the battery probably every time tyres are off.
Shall be doing the added replaceable holder as in video next time in there!

four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by 1215 [+]
I simply used CR2032 without the tags on (cheap as chips) NOT specifically motherboard batts and soldered two short wires on to replace tags, (HOT iron with fine point both tinned and short contact, no overheat!).
Set that are on my TTSE are now 14 months and still reading OK.
After doing the fix on 4 sets of TPMS (all triumphs) I shall be changing the battery probably every time tyres are off.
Shall be doing the added replaceable holder as in video next time in there!

:028: :028: :028:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »
I think it's important to post this before someone tries ......

".... aren't all these' ( CR2032 etc ) 'rechargeable types? "

Short answer : NO !

Computer motherboard "CMOS" batteries, usually CR2032 type,
are NOT designed to be rechargeable.

Unless you know precisely what you are doing, Please, Please DO NOT try and recharge a CR2032
or any other similar Lithium battery, as there is a risk of causing an explosion  !  :166:

There are some equivalent Rechargeable Batteries,
for various applications, such as "ML2032", "LiR2032", "LR2032".

Article here : CR2032 Battery and alternatives.

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)