Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trade in for a new Black SE?  (Read 11169 times)

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
Trade in for a new Black SE?
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:24:50 am »
Was thinking of trading my May 13 silver (A bike with 10,000 miles but getting a bit noisy) Trophy for either a Black SE, or a BMW 1600GTLE with 2000 miles on the clock.
My current Trophy has all of the extras on like heated seats, grips, TPMS, top box, engine bars etc., so I'd like all of that on my new bike.

The bottom line is that BMW will give me £9000 against £15,000 for the GTLE, and Triumph £8500 against £16,800 for the Trophy.

I know the problem has been made worse by me wanting so many extras, and the fact that the basic bike has come to the end of the line, but never did I think the deal on the BMW would be £2300 better.

Shame really - I think there's a lot to be said for being part of the Triumph family, but this is plain daft, coming from a dealership who said they wanted to "look after me". I'm sure the deal could be trimmed by swapping some bits over, but it's not going to be significant enough to make me think the Trophy's the best bet

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: Trade in for a new Black SE?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:46:59 am »
 If it was me, I wouldn't trade in for a new black one...  Saw the black yesterday and I wasn't over impressed. If I was in your situation, I would be very tempted with the BMW (especially with such low mileage).

I love the TT and originally I had been to the BMW garage wanting to buy the R1200RT, but just hated it, the ride & engine just awful.  I haven't ever ridden the 1600GT or similar model so can't really compare, but it's a heck of a lot of bike for the price.

I think I would have been disappointed being offered only 8500 from triumph, tight arses ;)

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »
Why do you think BMW are offering you more :084: Have you looked on the forum even hardened BMW guys are getting rid and going back to RTs or goldwings. Have you had a test ride? Most people say the transmission is even worse than the boxers.
Just save yourself lots of money and keep the Trophy until it gets an update probably 2016 at 10k yours is only just run in.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:46:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by neojynx [+]
If it was me, I wouldn't trade in for a new black one...  Saw the black yesterday and I wasn't over impressed. If I was in your situation, I would be very tempted with the BMW (especially with such low mileage).

I love the TT and originally I had been to the BMW garage wanting to buy the R1200RT, but just hated it, the ride & engine just awful.  I haven't ever ridden the 1600GT or similar model so can't really compare, but it's a heck of a lot of bike for the price.

I think I would have been disappointed being offered only 8500 from triumph, tight arses ;)

regards

Garry

Cheers Garry

You're right - I had an RT for a few months, convincing myself that I'd get used to it, but never did.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
Why do you think BMW are offering you more :084: Have you looked on the forum even hardened BMW guys are getting rid and going back to RTs or goldwings. Have you had a test ride? Most people say the transmission is even worse than the boxers.
Just save yourself lots of money and keep the Trophy until it gets an update probably 2016 at 10k yours is only just run in.

It's a good point you make - I've tried the actual bike and the transmission is good, but not as good as the Trophy is now, although for the first 4000 it was really notchy. The K1600 engine though, is out of this world. I'm a member on the K1600 forum, and people have had issues for sure - it's a highly complex machine, and there have been troubles mainly with transmission, final drives and water pumps. The word is that the 2014 models are an improvement over the previous years. The gizmos on it are all class leading, but then as I keep telling myself, it's more to go wrong.

I suppose you just keep your fingers crossed whichever bike you get, and make sure that it has warranty. I've had two new heads on the Trophy, a new ECU, and a new main stand - all done without cost to me, so I'm no stranger to being without the bike for several weeks.

I think ultimately you may be right - there are plenty of mods that the TT needs. I'm sure they're working on it for the facelift, and before we know where we are, another year will be gone.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:48 pm »
If you have had the new head you will have the extra 12 months warranty so your warranty should last until the updated Trophy comes out or if you still like the BM it will have had another year to iron out the problems 

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »
Some sound observations offered and I have little to add, except that I do not think the Black TTSE looks right;  but then beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder

You pays your money and you make your choice!
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:26:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by venomyellow [+]
I've tried the actual bike and the transmission is good, but not as good as the Trophy is now, although for the first 4000 it was really notchy. .

The Trophy is so good that clutchless upshifting is a dream....

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

tweedy-bunch