Maintenance blues. by Jonesin
[Today at 02:33:21 AM]

Big Bend February 16th through 22nd 2020 by 2slowTrophy
[Today at 12:46:44 AM]

Slipping out of 2nd gear? by Dan66
[Today at 12:20:13 AM]

What is the "Trick" to Using the Center Stand? by digital
[Yesterday at 09:31:54 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DIY Exhaust Guard  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: DIY Exhaust Guard
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
Originally I was going to wait until I had the Fairing off to tackle the "Doctor46" DIY Exhaust Guard....but I as have confined myself to barracks, in anticipation of the arrival of some "Bargain Price" Adventure Bars...

(That particular purchase appears to have been processed - even though the Seller has restored/ammended the Selling price up to RRP levels. 24 hr Dispatch was confirmed yesterday)

Anyway, I made a template in cardboard to fit inside the left and right end sections of the radiator and following the curve as closely as I could. Then I cut a 385mm x 250mm piece of aluminium mesh and covered the sharp edges with strips of Car Door Edge U channel protector trim.
One minor trimming operation, then I fed the DIY Guard into the Radiator LH Side "groove" - pressed the mesh gently to follow the curve - and was then able to "snap" the RH edge into the "groove" on that side.... It couldn't be that simple, surely

It feels fairly solid and stable but in truth I will be happier with some permanent fixings to stop it falling off..... Some duct tape down the edges perhaps for now. Until I take the Fairing off...

By the way.... before I did any of this Farkling I examined the Radiator quite closely and was able to identify only three "impact" areas - nothing other than vane damage visible though - and the usual small amount of dead insects and grit chips, all brushed off etc.

Doesn't look too bad in my eyes - though probably not as nice as the Gold version..

Cheers
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Doctor46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE Launch Editon
  • City / Town: Lowestoft
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
Well done that man. That is a very neat job, better than mine I would say.  :152:

The silver coloured mesh looks good enough. I like the gold I used, but it could do with some other parts reflecting that, such as the brake disc centres like my Sprint used to have, to make it sit better within the colour scheme of the bike. When I do need to change the discs I will get some with gold coloured centres. Then I think it will all tie in better. I personally do like the gold against the blue of the fairing.

Offline Steamer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE
  • City / Town: Duncan, B.C.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
That is a very professional job.  Looks real good!!!!

Offline 1BlinkGone

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Coast
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:44 AM »
Brilliant solutions for both those vulnerable areas. Like Porsche, I don't understand why those don't come from the factory protected like that. It's not that expensive...until damage happens.  Great jobs, you guys.  I can forsee a nice black powdercoated solution...

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
When damage happens who makes money  :084: starts in T and ends in H.

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »
I like them both. Another job on the list. :033:
It wasn't me !!

Offline 1BlinkGone

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Coast
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
When damage happens who makes money  :084: starts in T and ends in H.

Well, of course!   :745:

Offline baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
I should have don a search of this before I paid out for an R&G exhaust header protector. I just spent an hour trying to fit them but to no avail. Very difficult to line up the top bolts and when they were in, the mesh was pressing on the exhaust. All I seen to have acheived is taking paint of the bottom of the radiator. I'll give up on it & tak a trip to B&Q to purchace some mesh.

tweedy-bunch