Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How many do their own maintence????  (Read 7366 times)

Offline jkriner

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1200LT
  • City / Town: Hope Mills
How many do their own maintence????
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »
Hi,
I enjoy the THERAPY of servicing my own bike......
OK, I admit it, I'm cheap and don't trust anyone else touching my bike.  :001:
No one else has touched my K1200LT for the last 100,000 miles, but me. Currently 148,025 miles.
The BMW Dealer network has a bad rap, and the bmwlt.com forum is a great community with
a wealth of information.

I was wondering how many Trophy owners do their own maintence?
How accessible for oil changes / rear drive lube changes, and other services?

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: How many do their own maintence????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »
Rear drive is a piece of cake.  Engine oil is the same, almost.  The oil filter can be a bit fiddly to get a hold of.  I use the K&N filter with the nut on the bottom. Makes it easy.  If you have the R&G Adventure bars, the left side has to come off to get the filter out.

Haven't changed brake pads yet but intend to.  I generally handle all fluids myself.  Not sure about brake fluid with ABS brakes.  Will no doubt change the coolant myself when the time is right.  May or may not take on the valve adjustment.

I change my own tires.  I install all of own accessories. 

As a rule of thumb, if I can do it I will.  Or at least try.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:58 pm »
I do my own work, always have. Rear drive is easy as is engine oil. Tupperware is off of the bike now and I am getting ready to check/adjust the valves, I will post when that little adventure is over. I do my own tire mounting and balancing. I change fluids every two years on my bikes so the brake, clutch, and coolant will be next Decembers chore. I just picked up my parts for the heated grips today so that will be done shortly also. I really have no plans on going to the dealership unless some electronic gremlin raises its ugly head and I need them to troubleshoot it. I am kind of lucky since I have a friend who races a Triumph and he has a well supplied selection of valve shims and pretty much any computer programs I may need. It helps if you enjoy doing these jobs, and I do. Keeps me out of trouble when the snow is flying.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:07 pm »
Fluids, oil filter, brake pads and tyres are like any other bike, or a bit easier than my st1100. Air filter needs bodywork and tank to be accessed, which takes time. Checking the valves is also the same, so a good time to check underneath.. If the air filter is done when checking valves, maintenance is easy.

I also do my own tyres, and the wheels and brake pads are dead simple.

I had a few shims replaced at the 32,000 km service, and will report if they have settled down at 70,000 kms, which should be March
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:27:45 pm by saaz »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:50 pm »
I do my own maintenance on all my bikes.  Have ever since I started riding.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:03:49 am »
*Originally Posted by jkriner [+]
Hi,
I enjoy the THERAPY of servicing my own bike......
OK, I admit it, I'm cheap and don't trust anyone else touching my bike.  :001:
Same here. My rule is simple. If I can do the work I usually will. But there are a few exceptions on things I just don't want to deal with.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
I do my own work, always have. I do my own tire mounting and balancing. I change fluids every two years on my bikes so the brake, clutch, and coolant will be next Decembers chore. I just picked up my parts for the heated grips today so that will be done shortly also. I really have no plans on going to the dealership unless some electronic gremlin raises its ugly head and I need them to troubleshoot it.

+1 Couldn't have said it better!
Serial BMW rider

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:02 pm »
would be so kind as to do the maintenance, take some pictures and explain what to do step by step.
tutorial for the community

tweedy-bunch