Lunch anyone in and around Texas. by Saddle Tramp
[Today at 01:46:38 am]

R&G Crash Bars by Phil
[Today at 12:01:46 am]

New Tires on the Trophy by HACKLE
[Yesterday at 11:25:03 pm]

Exhaust connector rotting by HACKLE
[Yesterday at 11:22:32 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Motorcycle high-viz, but just different. What do you think?  (Read 11184 times)

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
Motorcycle high-viz, but just different. What do you think?
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:22 am »
Hi guys,

I hope that the cold weather is not stopping too many of you from venturing out there on your bikes. Winter is certainly here  :190:

I’ve had an idea for a range of motorcycle high visibility garments and Iwould like your opinion.

The idea came from personal experience, volunteering for the charity SERV Blood Bikes for the past 3 years.

Most of the work I do for the charity is at night. I'm on call Saturdays night between 7pm and 6am, delivering emergency blood and blood products to hospitals in London and Surrey by bike.

I also ride all year round, and in the winter the commute to and from work ispretty much all in the dark.

I've noticed that the standard fluorescent yellow high-viz vest I'm wearing makes very little difference, especially at night. The only visible things atnight are the reflective H shape strips.

Yellow or orange fluorescent vests might stand out a little during the day, but without the reflective strips they are next to useless at night in my view.

I've also noticed that way too many people/workers wear them nowadays, from construction workers to school kids on a walk about. I bet it won't be longbefore we start seeing office workers and stock traders in the city wearingthem on top of their suites just to cross the street on their way to get lunch(joke)

This extensive use of these garments makes them no different, in my view, from the way too excessive use of street furniture and signage that we see onour roads and in towns today, rendering them almost unnoticeable.

There are simply too many of them out there and they no lounger stand out asmuch as they should.

A research published a few of years back also shows that wearing a whitehelmet is more effective and makes riders more noticeable than just wearing astandard high-viz vest. I do agree with that statement, although I still wear ablack helmet simply because a white one doesn’t appeal to me (fussy biker).

The vast majority of high-viz vests all look more or less the same and in some cases what bikers wear is also a fashion statement. We are proud to beseen with our bike gear on (well, at least I am). I own several nice motorcyclegarments (and they are not cheap), and I’d hate having to cover them up with somethingthat makes me look like a highway maintenance worker or a delivery driver (nodisrespect for those professions of course).

I’ve come up with an idea to create high visibility, ultra reflectivegarments that are more effective and that bikers wouldn’t mind wearing on topof their protective gear.

The garments will be a long sleeves high viz over-jacket; a high viz vest; a thin waterproof over-jacket; a thin waterproof over-trousers and a waterproof backpack cover. All the itemswill be in black (and possibly yellow) and will have ultra reflective paint in the design to make them look more like actual biker specific garments.

The design (the reflective parts) will be applied on parts of the garmentswith riding a motorcycle in mind, so to cover all actual visible parts of therider, such as upper chest, shoulders, outside arms and elbows, outside legs,etc. as oppose to the standard high viz vest, which is generally sleeveless andwith most of the reflective bits covered by the motorcycle itself.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, and I'm not bringing anything new to the market. Not new, just different.
The question is, if a biker wants to be more visible (personal choice), especially in the dark, and if they were given the choicefor a high viz vest, would they go for something that looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kgxevfT-L.jpg
or something that looks like this (for example): http://www.motorcycleobsession.com/leathers/dainese/suits/Dainese-Tattoo-Back-Detail-Large.jpg (with the white design in reflective paint)
Not to everyone's taste I know, butas an example to make my point, I know which one I would choose.

I am in touch with designers and manufacturers in the UK and we could beready to produce these items in a couple of months, but before I dive into this project I wanted to validate this idea and see what other bikers thing.

So, what do you think? Is this something you guys would be interested in?

Thank you in advance

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Motorcycle high-viz, but just different. What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:08:47 pm »
Not meant to argue against it as I do wear a Halvarssen yellow Halogen over jacket during winter months.  I have also got a white helmet with reflective stickers on (for France and yes I now you don't really need them) but have always wondered how much it helps?  If someone is going to pull out on you then they would be in front.  (I don't normally reverse quickly down the road if I am then my problems are bigger???) then what can they see of the rider whatever they are wearing.  At night when see a bike coming the other way I wave and think I wonder if they waved because it is only when passing you can see the rider at all.  They are behind the light and so is any clothing.  So it would be what would anyone see extra coming out of a side road their lights are not even pointing at you?  Most demonstrations are some one wlaking and your headlights picking up the reflections Or of a bright jacket during day light.  Obviously proper refelctive would help if the car was behind you and catching but couldn't see you, or you were sitting waiting to pull out.  The Halvarssen is bright (well very dirty at the moment) but no refelctive panels.

I beleive there was a report about making yourself more visible by breaking up the lines and that black was not bad  But as you say we are mostly hidden behind the fairing (on a Trophy anyway).

Having said that I do wear my hi-viz when out observing with IAMs and then it needs arms as well so the associate, at least some times, see your arm in the air!

I think the white helmet works as they would normally risk it and pull out but think you might be police which would mean they see you rather than SMIDSY which is just an excuse.

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »
Hi from a fellow blood biker (Freewheelers)

Have you looked at the urban glow jackets?  I use one personal and it's black with the white reflective bands on it

We also use these as the blood bike jackets  but in yellow with arms too

I have seen paramedic riders using these too and they are similar to the police

The advantage over many similar ones is that they dry quick and don't effect gortex jackets and of course they have useful pockets.

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »
I believe theirs an article on the IAM site that currently talks about this topic. I will try and see if I can find it and up load it to the trophy forum for further consideration and discussion.

GJ-Trophy  :002:
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
*Originally Posted by GJ-Trophy [+]
I believe theirs an article on the IAM site that currently talks about this topic. I will try and see if I can find it and up load it to the trophy forum for further consideration and discussion.

GJ-Trophy  :002:

http://iam.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fd9825b6ccfe20c399fb8a3c4&id=9ac4ca9637&e=d21b7c42da

'The attached link gives access to the document I refer to and is recommended reading on the pro's and con's of wearing hi viz clothing. It is not a policy document but IAM agrees with the content.' The above was sent to IAM members. It is definitely worth reading as it will help anybody decide if they want to wear Hi Vis. It is written by White Dalton solicitors whom have defended and investigated thousands of accidents.

There are very good arguments for not wearing Hi Vis all of the time. You will need to Log In to your IAM membership to read the article. I will see if this can be shared if not a IAM member.

GJ-Trophy :002:
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »
To answer your question Mordiglo I'd go with option two, black with hi viz details.

I usually ride with an all black Roadcrafter Aerostich that has bits of hi viz across my back and on my legs and a small flash of hi viz on the front.  It's really good quality 3M hi viz.  I do not as a rule ride with hi viz vests, except when I have too, working for NEG, or Observing for IAM.  I'm of the view no body can see me so ride accordingly.

I do sometimes ride through the night from Newcastle to London and wear a Fluorescent vest in case I find myself lying in the road and hopefully someone will see me, obviously best not to lie on a dark unlighted road! 

I also have a black helmet.

When I drive I have a modern car with airbags and belts but suggest if none of these safety features were there and a razor sharp spike protuded from the steering wheel we'd all drive more cautiously. Volvo has had the best history of protecting its occupants so driving a Volvo you feel invincible, which is why motorcyclists always consider Volvo's as suspect!

Interesting thread.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:26 pm »
Just read the article on IAM website and my response is: See told you!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:44:27 pm »
I stopped wearing a hi vis vest as I found more people pulled out infront of me when I was wearing it. I could only assume that they thought I was going slower than I was ie. moped, scooter or learner rider. without the high vis most drivers hesitated assuming I was going faster than I was! Its imposible to workout what goes on in the minds of cagers. I do wear a white helmet though that definitely helps get you noticed

tweedy-bunch