Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: R & G Adventure Bars - an unplanned test  (Read 7981 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
R & G Adventure Bars - an unplanned test
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:36 pm »
SWMBO and I attended the local Christmas Toy run today. 18 miles of slow riding and a lot of bikes (well over 1000); Lots of spectators and a good time had by all until we reached the car park at the end of the ride when (perhaps I was tired after all that slow riding with a passenger - 2 passengers if you include the bear) I dropped it at low speed pulling in sharply right to park it. Must have been a senior moment(??). We were travelling with the top box but without the panniers (phew what a relief)

Anyway - the good news: R & G Adventure bars work! When the bike started to go down we both "shrank" into the bike- when it goes, let it, it's too heavy for heroics. No damage to us at all (apart from my pride - severely dented :151:). Very little damage to the bike: the offside bars are scratched - not deeply - and 1 square cm of paint of the black exhaust end cap is missing - a bit of hammerite should fix both of those. No damage to the fairing etc at all.

By the way the only advantage of the embarrassing location was the number of people who wanted to help getting the bike back up. Dead easy to do it with that many helpers

If the bars had not been fitted I suspect the damage would have hurt my wallet a bit! I have no relationship with R & G except that I am now a more satisfied customer :152: :047:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:53:33 pm by threeup »
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: R & G Adventure Bars - an unplanned test
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:09:43 pm »
Sorry to hear.  Had you adjusted the suspension? 

I found that the bike is unstable if I have the seat on high and the suspension set for two with luggage.  At low speed if you put the brakes on I found the bike 'dived' right and just fell and I could not stop it.  I put the seat on low, suspension back to one up (my pillion is under 8 stone???) then it behaves a low better. 

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Sorry to hear.  Had you adjusted the suspension? 

I found that the bike is unstable if I have the seat on high and the suspension set for two with luggage.  At low speed if you put the brakes on I found the bike 'dived' right and just fell and I could not stop it.  I put the seat on low, suspension back to one up (my pillion is under 8 stone???) then it behaves a low better.
Interesting - we both found the drop surprising - what you have described is as if you were there. Suspension was set for 2 up but the seat was on low
My pillion (watching as I type this  :008: ) is a little more than 8 stone though (about 10.5)
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about the drop, but glad that the bars were up to the job. They're well worth the money

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:52:25 pm »
Sorry for your drop but pleased to hear the bars worked ok.  I bought mine at the NEC bike show and plan to put them on this week.  (been busy doing the Christmas thing) so only just getting round to fitting the bars.   Relieved they work and I will show the posting to the Misses to prove I am saving money by buying them.

Freeway Phil  :152:

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »
Had the bike down twice, both times to the right side and at very low speed. First time was lack of concentration, in second thinking I was in first doing tight turn, a stall and over but very little damage, pannier scuffed, I fitted R&G bars after this. Second time was at the end of a long hot days ride in southern Italy loaded with full camping equipment and gear for my months solo  touring,bike was on sidestand across a slope at a campsite reception, set of with a turn to the right and I am convinced the bike cut out and didnt stall,  a long drop down for both of us, I let go and actually did a backward somersault downhill, bars scuffed pannier scuffed no other damage and lifting bike back up both times was easy using the knees bent and back against the bike. I regard the pannier covers as sacrificial now.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:00:19 am »
I can testify to the value of the R & G Bars having tested them a bit more vigorously last March !

I'm still walking around because I had them fitted !

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by Phil Freeway [+]
Sorry for your drop but pleased to hear the bars worked ok.  I bought mine at the NEC bike show and plan to put them on this week.  (been busy doing the Christmas thing) so only just getting round to fitting the bars.   Relieved they work and I will show the posting to the Misses to prove I am saving money by buying them.

Freeway Phil  :152:

Coconut posted a really good "how to" if you need guidance on fitting.