Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Alaska Ride for 2015  (Read 4735 times)

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
Alaska Ride for 2015
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:50:41 am »
Planning a ride from Arizona to Haines and back next year from late May to early June.  First time to Alaska and been scouring all the websites for information.  Taking the trophy along with 3-4 friends on various bikes.  Most are ST types.  Anyone make the ride this year?  Planning on going up the ALCAN and returning the Cassiar.  Wanted to do Anchorage, but just not enough time available, at least to make it enjoyable and not simply an endurance ride.  Any suggestions for lodging on these routes, places to eat, etc?
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
Re: Alaska Ride for 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:36:52 am »
I have no experience on riding to Alaska, but it's on my bucket list!  I recently purchased a map & book from Butler Maps on doing just that.  Definitely worthwhile in my opinion.  Also look at North to Alaska.  I'm on their mailing list, and although it's not motorcycle specific, there's quite a bit of information there; and they'll send you free stuff!  My trip isn't in the near future (work is taking care if that idea), but someday...  I'm thinking that late May might be a bit early for you to head that far north, but I'm sure the previously mentioned stuff will have that info.  Good luck to you - very envious!

:062:

STONEY

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:35 am »
Stoney

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been reading North to Alaska and getting Milepost as well.  Hit the point where I have traveled a lot of the world but usually at 8 miles a minute at 30k feet.  I can finally afford some of the bucket list stuff both financially and time wise.  Don't put it off too long never know when the end of the ride will occur.
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 03:30:08 am »
I agree.  My other outdoor love is off-roading in my Jeep.  Heading to Moab this spring for a week at the Easter Jeep Safari - that's another one on my list!
STONEY

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:17 pm »
I hope to do an Alaska run at some point.   Will likely have to wait until I'm retired unless I get an extended lull  in my business which does happen from time to time.   

Took an Alaska cruise last summer on a Silverseas boat - smaller ships with higher service.   Never been to Alaska and all I can say is Wow!   Nothing but trees,  water and mountains.   Breathtakingly beautiful.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:59 pm »
Hi Sungunar,

I did a three week flower sniffing ride with my wife in Alaska, it was on a rental Harley.

Here is my report, http://www.davidbadcock.co.uk/2010/Alaska10/IndexMain.htm

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 03:46:46 am »
I did the ride. 11,000 miles round trip on my Triumph Sprint 955 ST.   I highly recommend you find the time to ride into Alaska proper, not just catch the corner that is Haines.  I based myself in Fairbanks and explored Alaska.  You need to at least ride to above the Arctic Circle.  It is not a short ride and if you can't do it right I suggest you wait until you can.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:48:28 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
There is a group from AZ going in July of 2015... http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4970.0

You may want to tap into them for advice as well.
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch