Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: USB port should be dead with bike off, right?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
USB port should be dead with bike off, right?
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:18:49 pm »
Heading back to the dealer today to talk about my battery drain issue.  I've already discussed the software update with him (he knew nothing about it) but before I go I want to make sure I have my info correct if the problem is more the audio unit rather than software alone. 
The usb port stays hot while the bike is off, so if I leave my ipod plugged in it charges continually and drains the battery.  My understanding is that both the power port there and the usb should be dead while the bike is off.  Correct?

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: USB port should be dead with bike off, right?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
Hi Ender1912,

I have just been through both the Owners and Audio Systems Handbooks and CANNOT confirm that the USB and Power Connection IS switched OFF when the Ignition is OFF. Neither book makes any mention of it.

This is beginning to cause me a little concern as I have not yet taken delivery of my '12 SE. I know it's Audio System appears to be working but to be honest I was not fully aware of problems in the area.
Personally, I won't be making use of the Audio Unit - it's the ESA and Shaft Drive that I'm looking forward to...

I'll be most interested in any other responses you get..

Cheers
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:22:18 pm »
Appreciate you looking it up for me.  I'm at work and don't have access to the manual right now. 
Truth be told, I use the audio less than I had anticipated but I'm getting really tired of my battery dying on me.  I can't ride for more than 100 miles without losing the battery the next day.
Other than that, I absolutely love this bike, and I'm sure you will too.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:36 pm »
The USB port should be off as should the power socket in the glovebox.

I know mine does go off as I have a12v USP power plug in that socket with an LED power indicator and it goes out with the ignition off.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:56 pm »
Yes both off i hbave ipod  in usb and tracker in socket i also power the on bike camera and sat nav from the socket and all goes off with ignition also the socket does not go live until the engine starts not sure about ipod socket  ut i thinkk that is also only llive after starting.  One problem peolle have fou d is that the radio stays on (so does the sat nav) when there is a problem so perhaps the glove box is also staying live and so should be fixed with the software update.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 06:51:59 am »
*Originally Posted by Ender1912 [+]
Heading back to the dealer today to talk about my battery drain issue.  I've already discussed the software update with him (he knew nothing about it) but before I go I want to make sure I have my info correct if the problem is more the audio unit rather than software alone. 
The usb port stays hot while the bike is off, so if I leave my ipod plugged in it charges continually and drains the battery.  My understanding is that both the power port there and the usb should be dead while the bike is off.  Correct?
Did you get the audio module software update that makes sure the audio module will shut off with the ignition?

You might even find your battery drains without the ipod plugged in.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 06:58:18 am »
Hi Ender1912,

Thanks for sharing this with us - it's the first time I've heard of it,
but it looks like it may well be another symptom ( and therefore help with future diagnosis ),
of the / an Audio Module fault.

Please keep us updated with how you get on at the Dealers  :169:

Merry Christmas.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 08:27:05 am »
*Originally Posted by Ender1912 [+]
Appreciate you looking it up for me.  I'm at work and don't have access to the manual right now. 
Truth be told, I use the audio less than I had anticipated but I'm getting really tired of my battery dying on me.  I can't ride for more than 100 miles without losing the battery the next day.
Other than that, I absolutely love this bike, and I'm sure you will too.
If you don't use the audio much, there is an easy fix. Remove the audio module fuse from the left side of the bike. There is a music symbol on top of the fuse cap. Fuse three, IIRC. You won't get any audio, but it should temporary fix as well as verify what the problem is, until you can get it repaired correctly. Sounds to me like you simply need the software update for the audio module. Some TTSE's have this problem and some don't, even without the update (like mine). But see if you notice a large improvement after removing the audio fuse.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch