Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: radio  (Read 7465 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
radio
« on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:38 pm »
I have said before that as far as i was concerned the radio aerial is a ground plane antenna and there is no decent ground plane .  In fact the shield of the aerial is terminated some way away.  So i got a bit of aluminium (aluminum) that i conneted a ground wire to, drilled a hole to miss the bolt sticking out of the bottom of the aerial.  Pulled the mirror out and trapped the bit of metal under the aerial by  pushing the mirror back in.

I have only done one journey of 50 miles and think the radio was alot better it switche don the rds a lot less and kept the signal where it usually went scratchy. 

As i say only one short journey yet but i think it is better but not definitive it could be atmospheric conditions.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Re: radio
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:41:06 pm »
Thanks for posting. I was considering doing much the same for a bit better reception in marginal areas. Look forward to reading your long term findings.

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »
john348--

I believe that it is a di-pole antenna.  Di-poles require a ground plane to function normally.

--John

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:54:02 am »
Might want to check that your weather part of your radio still works correctly. Triumph uses the antenna (aerial) for both the weather band and the AM/FM portion of the radio hence not having the ground in the same location as the mount itself. Yes this degrades the AM/FM signal a little but not the weather band portion.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:28 am »
I also tried a car type amplified antenna plugged straight into the radio under the seat but could not get it working properly.  Either it was because it was chinese or some matching was wrong.  The reception was better with my modified antenna than with the amplified one. 

Unfortunately my headset was flat this morning (must have left it on over Christmas) so I could not listen to radio on the way in.  I am charging now and will listen on the way home to get a better comparison.

Also what weather part is this just a US option?  In Uk we just check the windshield if it is wet it is raining if it is dry it is going to rain (well not that bad just have to keep up the stereotype).

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »
 :745: I'm not very well read on this subject but I don't believe we have separate weather channels in the UK, unless you count Radio 4  :038: unlike the US which has dedicated WX bands.

You see, if we had such things, we'd have nothing to chat to complete strangers about  :190:

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:38 pm »
I lived in England for a little while as a kid, does it ever NOT rain? :745: I think all the radios headed for the U.S. have the weather bands on them. Didn't know if the U.K. used them or not.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:54:46 pm »
Didnt rain today but was a bit foggy?

Couldn't test the radio on way home as the new sena smh10 was flat because the battery or charging circuit has gone duff and wouldnt charge or even run off usb power  :110: .  I will take it to bits and see if i can fix it?  Will change to other headset for the moment.