Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Boxing Day  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Boxing Day
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:25:09 pm »
Today I got a chance to ride from Bangor to Bucksport, Maine and back, for a 55 mile ride. A very rare occurrence in late December in Maine. A number of things came together to make this possible. In spite of the fact that we've had in excess of 30 inches of snow already this season, the pre-Christmas storm came out of the south and brought temperatures in the 50s meaning the precipitation was in the form of rain. This did a thorough job of washing salt and sand off the roads. The high pressure that came in was a very dry air mass so the roads dried up nicely. Also the mild temperatures (for Maine in late December) hung in there today. During the ride the thermometer read anything between 46 and 48°F.

I waited until about 11 am to ride hoping that any black ice that had formed Christmas night would be melted and sure enough it was. The big problem with a bright sunny day at this time of the year is that the sun never gets very high in the sky. The second problem is that as the sun starts to set, it gets cold very quickly.

I turned on the heated grips at the beginning of the ride just go warm them up and after that I didn't need them. Though the roads were all clear there are some pretty good frost heaves that you need to avoid. I saw three other bikes on the road the last one being my friend Jim, just about to leave my house on his ST1300. He had come looking for me. Unfortunately I had errands to run and couldn't go back out with him. So we plan to ride for a few hours tomorrow. We need to take advantage of these good days because it could be a couple of months until we get another chance.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Day
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:33 pm »
51 here in southern Ohio today. My son showed up on his Honda and we managed to get in around 50 miles. Just a trace of snow so far this month and roads are salt free.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 04:12:01 am »
I'm embarrassed to say that despite our 75 degree weather I didn't ride a single mile.  My daughter is home from college and I elected to spend the day with her. I think she might have out shone the sun anyway.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 08:11:11 am »
I took the plunge also yesterday. It was about 4deg C no snow or ice roads pretty dry. Had a good ride up in the Yorkshire dales around ingle ton over to Hawes back to Harrogate. Bike running sweet as a nut. Winter gloves and the heated grips now and again. Lowest temp down to 3C.
Just good to be out.

Seadog
seadog

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:17:52 am »
Ive got a 200 odd mile trip today, but lots of snow. On road and im going acrossthe pennines, so a lot of feet  down riding i fear
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:34 pm »
Not a chance today, rainy, windy and snow expectations over the weekend  :190:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 05:36:04 pm »
Well managed a swift 200 miler today, pig is now very white from the salt, she will get a good wash tomorrow.
Saw -1 and lots of snow. Fun fun fun
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 08:42:28 pm »
I got another ride in today, 80 miles. Really rare for Maine in late December. I had three companions and we road from Bangor to Belfast, Maine not Northern Ireland.

The weather forecast is not conducive for any riding in the near, probably distant future. So the beast will be prepared for another round of hibernation.

Here's a picture from Belfast harbor.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch