Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Grab And Run  (Read 5299 times)

Offline traveler46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Iowa
Grab And Run
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:12:38 am »
If I have a GPS mounted on a Trophy in the dash mounting position just behind the windshield, is it easy for someone to just walk by, grab and run? Or is the device attached in some way you would need a screw driver or wrench? Barry

Offline nakerr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE - RIP
  • City / Town: Ft. Saskatchewan, AB
Re: Grab And Run
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 01:32:51 am »
Depends upon the mount and GPS. I had a Zumo 550 with a locking cradle that was screwed on from the bottom, I ask had RAM's locking knob on it. It could have been stolen but it would have had to have been pried off with a bar or something to break the mounts.
Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

Past owner of 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (Pacific Blue) - RIP; - next bike ???

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:16:07 am »
The standard mounts that come with Garmin or Tom Tom bike sat nav will bolt to the Triumph machined mount and the cables go into the facia so none of that part is easily removable.

The sat nav themselves out of the box just have a retracting nub that locks them in place so very easy to quickly mount or remove the units themselves.

Touratech do a locking mount which goes behind the cradle and then locks jaws round the unit but quite frankly, the units are so small if I don't trust where I stop it is a matter of seconds to remove the unit and put it in a pocket or lock in a pannier and then a couple more to remount it when you get back to the bike.

Leaving it locked to the bike, even in the touratech in my opinion is just going to tempt some muppet who can't appreciate the lock to have a go to try and remove it causing untold damage to the unit, cradle and bike.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:35:11 am »
Hi traveler46,

IF you leave a Sat Nav device on display, it is likely that someone WILL try and steal it  :023:

Even if you have some sort of locking device to prevent the quick removal of your Sat Nav,
if you leave it mounted for all to see, then it is likely that someone will try and steal it -
and they may cause damage while trying to do so, even if they don't manage to remove it.

In my personal opinion, stick with the Garmin type cradle
which allows the device to be removed quickly and easily,
and get into the habit of removing the Sat Nav device it whenever you leave the Trophy unattended -
put it out of sight in the Top box, one of the panniers, or better still - your jacket pocket  :028:

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »
Standard mount and Zumo 660.

Whenever I stop and have the nav on the bike I just pop it off and stick it in my bike jacket pocket. It's an expensive bit of kit to replace it it gets stolen so I just don't take the risk.

Dave.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »
Before My brother -in law moved up here from London , I serviced his car when he was visiting and noticed his stereo was hanging out of the dash so I secured it back in , When I gave him the car back he removed it out and left it hanging half out , when I asked him why he told me that in London they nick them all the time , if it is secured in they would just jimmy it out and damage half the dash in the process so it was cheaper to let them take it without  damaging the dash or to take it in at night and just plug it back in later.
   A bit extreme but no matter what mounting you use if you leave it on display someone will take it by either taking it off the flimsy mounting or snapping half your
fairing panels off and taking it with them there not fussy , :233: :233:

Offline traveler46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Iowa
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 11:59:49 pm »
Thanks guys for all the helpful info and experience. I will be taking the necessary precautions. Barry

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:34:16 am »
I also have the Zumo 550 and I have tried various methods of securing it to the bikes.  All of which I could circumnavigate and remove the unit without any difficulty and within a couple of minutes.   No, I am not a professional thief. 

I always remove the unit whenever I leave the bike.   Particularly at fuel stops or cafes.   

At last year's NEC bike show Garmin had a pretty big stand with every RAM and lockable device available.   NOt sure if they are at MCN Excel show but worth trying.  Alternatively, can you get to the office in Southampton?   I have been there and I have to say that I found their service and attention second to none.  :152:

Freeway Phil.