Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dead battery again . . . and again  (Read 4801 times)

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
Dead battery again . . . and again
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »
My 2013 TTSE has had the mysterious intermittent dead battery issue happen about 12 times in the last 6 months, and it's now happening more frequently. For the first year it only surfaced once, which was in the first weeks of ownership, and it was believed at the time to be a loose battery connection. It also has had, since new, the windshield that sticks in the parked position when cold, and the heated grips and seat indicators that don't work. Heat but no indicator . . . except the rider seat on high that is. That indicator works. Other problems yet to be addressed include the radio sometimes shutting off and having to pull the fuse to get it working again. It also has the disappearing gas gauge (comes back after a few miles), and the "Low voltage audio off message" at EVERY startup. Always has.

It has now been to the dealer 4 times. I even purchased a larger than stock battery of a different brand to try fixing the problem. For the 5th trip to the dealer for the same problem I left it there . . . in mid November. It's now January, and the cause or remedy is still unknown. Triumph has the dealer doing lots of checks, but nothing has been authorized to be replaced. I know I have only had it for 18 months, but seriously . . . And Triumph is telling the dealer they have no knowledge of these problems from other owners?

Sent a letter to Triumph USA and expect (hoping at least) to hear back from them soon. After 12,000 miles I really do love the bike, but would prefer to ride instead of storing it at the dealer. I also need it reliable enough to go out of town from time to time. A touring bike that you can't tour with is kinda useless . . .  :157:

My question is: has anyone had the dead battery, windshield, or any of the other issues actually fixed?
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Dead battery again . . . and again
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by snarl [+]
My 2013 TTSE has had the mysterious intermittent dead battery issue happen about 12 times in the last 6 months, and it's now happening more frequently. For the first year it only surfaced once, which was in the first weeks of ownership, and it was believed at the time to be a loose battery connection. It also has had, since new, the windshield that sticks in the parked position when cold, and the heated grips and seat indicators that don't work. Heat but no indicator . . . except the rider seat on high that is. That indicator works. Other problems yet to be addressed include the radio sometimes shutting off and having to pull the fuse to get it working again. It also has the disappearing gas gauge (comes back after a few miles), and the "Low voltage audio off message" at EVERY startup. Always has.

It has now been to the dealer 4 times. I even purchased a larger than stock battery of a different brand to try fixing the problem. For the 5th trip to the dealer for the same problem I left it there . . . in mid November. It's now January, and the cause or remedy is still unknown. Triumph has the dealer doing lots of checks, but nothing has been authorized to be replaced. I know I have only had it for 18 months, but seriously . . . And Triumph is telling the dealer they have no knowledge of these problems from other owners?

Sent a letter to Triumph USA and expect (hoping at least) to hear back from them soon. After 12,000 miles I really do love the bike, but would prefer to ride instead of storing it at the dealer. I also need it reliable enough to go out of town from time to time. A touring bike that you can't tour with is kinda useless . . .  :157:

My question is: has anyone had the dead battery, windshield, or any of the other issues actually fixed?
There have been many threads on this problem. Try removing the audio fuse (music symbol on fuse cap--left side of bike) and see if the problem clears. If it does, there is an update for the audio module that should fix the problem, available at your Triumph dealer.

The audio module on bikes that have XM radio (USA & Canada) sometimes have this problem. Mine has no trace of the problem, even though I do not have the update. However, many USA & Canada TTSEs  do have this battery drain problem, caused by the XM radio when the bike's ignition is off.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:20:18 pm »
I have not had the dead battery, but I changed it anyway.
I do have the windshield problem when it is cold.  Ride a few minutes and it works just fine.  I think it may be the 'anti-jam"  system that thinks there is a bind and there may be a mild bind with cold metal.
These are problems but minor.  My previous bike (BMW RT) had serious expensive problems.  Fuel pump controllers (2) clutch switch, ABS pump, broken drive shaft, leaky fuel tank and more.  It left me stranded twice.
 I like my TT.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:49:57 pm »
Which dealer are you going to Snarl?  The dead battery issue is well known by Triumph, so I suspect a problem with your dealer.  :435:
Serial BMW rider

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Arizona
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:50:32 am »
I will say after the question was brought up about the current version of audio software (should be 1.04E), I had the dealer check mine and update, there have been less ghosts in the machine. 
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:15 am »
I had the windshield issue from new. You will find many posts on it. With mine, it 'unstuck' once I got moving.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 10:51:25 am »
Triumph is telling the dealer they have no knowledge of these problems from other owners?
Someone is either not telling the truth or not doing their job !

Triumph US DO know about this - that is why there is an Audio Software update !

May I suggest you show them a Print Out of the Triumph Dealer Special Alert
posted by our fellow Member "Fastwheels" at Reply #80 here :
Error - "Audio Not Found"

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:00:56 pm by Coconut »

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »
As a followup, I have been following forum articles for some time, and have learned a lot about the bike. Special cudos to Coconut for his excellent articles (and others I can't remember off the top of my head).  :020:

I am in south east Connecticut, and do realize "someone" (dealer or Triumph, or both) are not being honest or doing their job. Hence my letter to Triumph USA, which will hopefully get the right attention to fixing the issues before the warranty expires.

The radio update has been put in, which I found the information here on the forum and told the dealer about to make that happen. Unfortunately the dead battery / radio issues continue. That is why "she" is currently living at the dealer. What I am hoping to find are others with similar problems that HAVE been fixed. I can use that to further my war chest in getting resolution. If others can be fixed, so can mine. The longer I have had the TT, the more I enjoy it. Absolutely the best bike I have ever owned, even with her current flaws.

On a side note, does anyone know how we can check the status for the excessive top end noise issue as mine is a 2013, and in my opinion, the valve train noise is much greater than when it was new. The dealer (yes, them again) has said they checked Triumphonline .net, and mine is not on the cylinder head service list, and had been corrected at the factory before shipping. Hmmm . . . I bought mine (the faster blue version) in May 2013, long before the TSB came out. My VIN is between 584031 and 602960 listed in TSB issue 154, which was posted here in another thread. Thanks w8d4it
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

tweedy-bunch