Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Coping with a strong wind  (Read 4985 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Coping with a strong wind
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »
Today I needed to travel to near Huddersfield from Cheshire. On the way there I went over Holme Moss (the Tour de France Route) but on the way back I went over Woodhead
Both rides were very windy, with Woodhead much the worse of the two. Fortunately the roads were reasonably clear which at least gave room to cope with the bike being shifted to one side without me moving the bars!

What I did discover through was (not surprisingly) that lowering the screen to its lowest setting made the bike easier to control in those conditions

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Coping with a strong wind
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:37 pm »
Lowered my screen as well tonight also but being 'down south' (from you anyway) it was probably no where near as windy.  I did surprisingly find that a higher speed seemed better.  I am sure it cannot be bht it just seemed it.  I was pleasantly surprised that the bike was very stable.  I would have thought with a barn door up front it would have made it very difficult.

Offline Aharbi

• Trophy Pro
  • Retired and riding
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Austin Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
It depends on the direction of the wind. From the rear not a problem. From from front and sides I as you lower the shield lower myself and tuck in behind to ride it out. I would rather ride in the rain than the wind. Although the bike holds a steady line in the wind and isn't tossed about as much in wind gusts as some previous bikes.
Best regards; Art

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:45 pm »
The Trophy is much better (more stable) than my '07 RT was on the highway; wind or no wind!
Serial BMW rider

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:35:19 am »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Lowered my screen as well tonight also but being 'down south' (from you anyway) it was probably no where near as windy.  I did surprisingly find that a higher speed seemed better.  I am sure it cannot be bht it just seemed it.  I was pleasantly surprised that the bike was very stable.  I would have thought with a barn door up front it would have made it very difficult.

A friend of mine who rides a Gold Wing said the same thing: drop it down a gear, and speed up (from 65mph to 75mph), and it made all the difference in the world for him!  He didn't mention lowering the windscreen (can't do that on a Wing while riding!!!).
STONEY

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:12:34 am »
Lowering the screen will present a smaller surface area
( in the vertical plane ) for the cross winds to act upon.

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:43:00 am »
The wind effect and speed is interesting. Recently on  trip in France, I was on my Goldwing with an RT and another wing, we crossed the St Nazaire Bridge in a strong side wind. The bridge has lots of supports so you get a on off effect from then wind. I took the keep the speed up approach and whilst there was an effect it was fine. The RT rider chose to slow and was thrown about all over the road. The other Wing was again more affected as he slowed behind the RT.

We ride what is in effect two large giroscopes. So my view is increase stability by keeping them spinning. :046: :046: :046:

I saw the results of slowing in my mirrors and I made the right choice. I have lowered the screen on the TT but don't think it made much difference apart from the increased buffeting. :151: :151:
It wasn't me !!

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:40:48 am »
I rode across the old severn bridge before christmas  with a 30+ mph side wind which was not gusty, and nice  and consistent.  It was restricted to one lane to allow you to weave as much as you wanted.  Which was good as at the supports it dropped for a split second as you passed them.  So i had a litle play to find the sweet spot.

I found 57 on cruise was a good speed, and dropping the screen to about 3/4 was best to limit buffetting as the normal air pocket was just being blown away from the side.

I was at a horrible angle.....i.e. the point of no return if you are stationary!

tweedy-bunch