Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Seat height  (Read 9043 times)

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Playa del Rey, CA
Seat height
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »
Sitting on the low seat, on my 2013 SE, is like being on the side of a hill. As soon as I relaxed a little, I'd slide forward toward the gas tank, onto the narrow part of the seat, with my elbows bent. When I raised the seat, it became almost level, and I could stay on the wider, softer part of the seat without having to constantly apply pressure with my legs. Now I'm eight tenths of an inch further from terra firma, and my anxiety is palpable at low speeds, at stops and when I move the bike around under my own power.
A weekend on a rented Aprilia Caponord proved to me that taller and lighter, by maybe ninety pounds, can be better for me, with my thirty-inch inseam. the Capo's a relative gas hog, but I've considered trading for a 2014 Explorer.
There are options with the Trophy, but they all have unfortunate side effects. There truly is no free lunch.
A lowering kit would bring the seat down, but also make the center stand almost unusable. The Comfort seat appears to be level, but taller than stock. Corbin claims that it's one-piece seat is comparable to the OEM seat set on the high position, and is not adjustable. Then there are low-profile tires and maybe setting rear preload to its lowest position. Same effect on the center stand.
I welcome comments or suggestions.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Re: Seat height
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »
I am short in the leg 30" so I bought the low seat which I think is the standard seat in the US and I do not slid forwards I do like to sit near the tank in slow moving traffic and when coming to a stop just to give me the narrowest part of the seat, helps me get both feet on the ground. I think the low seat is slightly less comfortable due to the reduced padding.
Just a thought are you sure you have the rear of the seat in the low position?

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »
Lust Racing lowering links lower it by 20mm, and I have the front tubes up 12.5mm in the clamps and see no difference in ride or handling and unless I have an unusually heavy load in the top case I can still put it on the center stand.  I have to confess that my K1600 was slightly easier to put on the center stand though.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:41 pm »
Check to be sure that the seat is interfacing with the rear seat and frame stops correctly. I had the exact same problem that you have described and found that the seat was not installed correctly. I have to push my seat forward a little to get the back portion to sit down in the correct frame position and then I'm always  checking that the the front seat tabs slide into the correct slot in the rear seat. This resulted in a noticeable lowering of the back portion of the front seat and stopped the tendency to slide forward.
Serial BMW rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:38:20 am »
With a 29 inch inseam I find the Trophy a bit tall as is but I wouldn't dream of lowering it.  I've just developed very strong toes and a good sense of balance.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 06:55:15 am »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
Lust Racing lowering links lower it by 20mm, and I have the front tubes up 12.5mm in the clamps and see no difference in ride or handling and unless I have an unusually heavy load in the top case I can still put it on the center stand.  I have to confess that my K1600 was slightly easier to put on the center stand though.

Would it be fair to say that the lowering links would reduce the amount of suspension travel by roughly the same length that the bike is lowered?  Or is the design such that the shock mounting is altered to compensate?  I wouldn't think that it would be too much of a problem riding solo, but with a pillion & luggage, even with the correct settings, I can foresee some issues.  Any experiences with that?

:084:
STONEY

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:19 am »
The '12 TTSE that I bought recently had Lush Racing Lowering Links fitted when I Test Rode it and I found the handling to be truly awful. So much so that I had the OE Links re-fitted before I picked her up earlier this week.

What I omitted to check was whether or not the Front Forks had been raised in the Yokes (Clamps) to compensate for the lower sitting Rear end, so I'll be checking that later today.

With the OE Links refitted it handles and steers much better but it's still not right - the tyres though are pretty worn so they are being replaced today - that's when I'll get the Techs to check and adjust the Front Fork Leg position if necessary.

Other than the worn tyres it's a brilliant bike....I can't wait to try it properly set-up

Cheers
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:12:03 am »
I have 29" legs too. When I had mine it had a lowered seat and I was just on the forefoot I did have to be careful. That said, When I bought new boots, I made sure they had a thick sole and that made all the difference.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch