Sunny Motorcycle ride in Iowa by HACKLE
[Today at 12:39:38 am]

Dead Battery - again! by TX Triumphs
[Yesterday at 11:57:02 pm]

"best" blutooth comms system? by sin_tiger
[Yesterday at 10:52:49 pm]

LED headlamp bulb by 2slowTrophy
[Yesterday at 10:25:58 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Two Pet Hates  (Read 11368 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Two Pet Hates
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:22:47 pm »
Have others noticed these two recent trends:
  • Cage Drivers appear to have given up on indicating. The philosophy appears to be either "I know what I am going to do so to H??? with everyone else" or "Well it's obvious from where I am on the road where I am going"
  • Cage Drivers appear to have forgotten about the hand/parking brake. Travelling at night I encounter far too many drivers who sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake. With modern cars this means a high intensity light at eye level. I know some teaching has altered over the years (drivers do not seem to know how to use the engine braking any more for example), but does anyone know if use of the hand brake is still taught?
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Two Pet Hates
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »
Well I have noticed that the large majority of drivers do not indicate or if they do indicate they indicate incorrectly which in many ways is even worse!!!

In particular the use of the indicator at roundabouts is particularly suspect with many drivers not appearing to know what indicator to use to take the first, second or later exits.

I do find there appears to be a correlation between drivers of german cars and poor use of indicators in particular!! Often to be found failing to indicate correctly while also holding a conversation on their mobile phone!

With regard to the handbrake I have to admit to never using mine, but then I drive an automatic and a handbrake is a completely superfluous item in an automatic car.... if I want to 'lock' the drive so it won't go backwards or forwards I put it in park. but usually at traffic lights I just use the footbrake. I think automatics are a lot more common these days and so this may have something to do with it.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:30 pm »
The best advice I ever read was " The only thing a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb is working"
On the second point When they bring out a diesel automatic touring bike I'll be first in the queue

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:15:22 am »
*Originally Posted by threeup [+]
Cage Drivers appear to have forgotten about the hand/parking brake.

I sympathize with your points. However, in my 2002 VW Passat Wagon with manual transmission, pulling the handbrake shuts off the headlights, leaving only parking lights. Therefore I do not pull the handbrake when waiting a traffic signal, but will do so for lengthy waits at railroad crossings or bridges.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:51 am »
*Originally Posted by donmoe [+]
I sympathize with your points. However, in my 2002 VW Passat Wagon with manual transmission, pulling the handbrake shuts off the headlights, leaving only parking lights. Therefore I do not pull the handbrake when waiting a traffic signal, but will do so for lengthy waits at railroad crossings or bridges.

Don

Interesting - sounds like a design error to me. How would you do a hill start in the dark?
Now got Black TTSE

Offline bjtourer

• Trophy Member
  • Sooo, what is around the next corner?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bendigo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:49:06 am »
On the 1st point of cage drivers not indicating, that seems to be global.  I think there is a link with courtesy being considered 'old school' and somehow irrelevant to driving today.   :151:

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:03 am »
A brake light at night is useful to see what the driver behind looks like...
I don't mind if they don't indicate, because we have to think for them anyway, and they often get the signals wrong. But I do get furious when they cross over the lane divide to one side, in order to turn the other way, or if they virtually stop dead before turning. In Scotland they're very polite - it's common for a driver to suddenly stop to allow a single car or van in from a side street, even if there is a following queue of 6 to 10 vehicles, and a green traffic light ahead...
cecilt

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:07 pm »
*Originally Posted by cecilt [+]
In Scotland they're very polite - it's common for a driver to suddenly stop to allow a single car or van in from a side street, even if there is a following queue of 6 to 10 vehicles, and a green traffic light ahead...

Eugh!
That is as bad as the drivers that brake suddenly for every camera they see just because they do not know what the speed limit is. We have a by-pass round Northwich, dual carriageway and 70mph limit. Be wary of drivers who suddenly see the speed camera and brake to below 60 or lower
Now got Black TTSE