Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Alternative Battery - the LiFePo4 option  (Read 20600 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Alternative Battery - the LiFePo4 option
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:33:16 am »
As promised I have installed an alternative battery to my '12 TTSE

A Haijiu 18 Amp/Hr jobbie see attached pictures.

Reliability and long-life are what I was after - I have been using a slightly smaller version to power my pair of First Generation Hinckley Trophies with great success.

It was 70% charged on receipt and was fitted straight out of the box, did a 15 mile journey in wet and very windy conditions at night and when I arrived back at base the Terminal Voltage was 13.5 volts. It's dropped a little overnight but still 13.3 volts (Better than the 2.5y.o. Yuasa at 12.2 volts).
Once the weather clears and I have sorted my Central Heating Boiler I'll be able to put 50 miles or so on the bike which should bring the T.Volts back to 100% charged which is usually in the order of 14.2 volts.

Weight-saving was NOT my main concern, but given the high mounting point of the battery in the TT(SE), I thought that a weight saving in that area might be of interest..

The figures:-

Yuasa YTX20L-BS weighs 6.37Kgs or 14.04lbs in old money...

Haijiu HJTX20HL-FP-SWI weighs 1.55Kgs or 3.14lbs

More info, as and when, I get to put the bike through it's paces

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:18:49 pm by Gordon3xBBB »
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Alternative Battery - the LiFePo4 option
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:55 pm »
How is the fitment? It looks slightly larger than the OEM unit (which is only 14AH I believe)
Serial BMW rider

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »
Can you feel the weight difference on the bike?

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:43:46 pm »
Oops! A slight misquote on my part...

It IS an 18Amp/Hr battery - confused by the Vendors code of "20", 18A/Hr is the same capacity as the OEM Yuasa Battery.

Dimension-wise the Length and Width are an exact match to the OEM battery. It is not as tall (Height) hence the two plastic feet (provided - see photo 2) which attach to the base of the battery, thus allowing the use of the rubber Battery Strap.

To early to tell on the weight difference...on a 600lb + bike 10lbs or so won't make that much difference but it will have lowered the Centre of Gravity a tad. Plus I'm not that familiar with the bike yet, barely done a 100 miles on it..

As I stated earlier, the weight saving was not my primary concern...but I have 18 months experience with this type of battery and am highly impressed to say the least.
It is over three times the price of a Lead Acid but can last up to 10 years - so it is claimed.
Cheaper (Lithium Ion) batteries are available but they are not as robust and reliable - in my humble opinion

These New Trophies are probably more Battery-Hungry than my earlier Hinckley variants - that is borne out by the comparative size of Alternator - they both have 20Amp Alts but are 23 and 18 years old and can go through a properly maintained Lead-Acid in 18 months..

I've done the figures - this battery could pay for itself in five years time and it should last well beyond that..
I'm in this for the long-haul.

If it all goes wrong, I'll let you know ...

Cheers

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:33:46 pm »
Where did you get the battery from and how much was it?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:48:56 pm »
My Local Triumph Dealer (Performance Triumph, Cheltenham) got it for me "through the Trade" from BikeIt.

RRP is in the region of £190 but PTC gave me a Discount - loyal customer etc..

I must stress it will require a Dedicated Charger - danger of over-volting if you don't use one - and that is about £45 or so.

The Dedicated Charger I have already...for my other LiFePo4 Battery and I've only used it twice in 18 months. Both times because of electrical work and modifications to my other two Hinckley Trophies drained the battery a bit....
Each time it was fully charged in 15 minutes..

Cheers

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 06:07:06 pm »
Well I know the boys at Cheltenham.... it is where I got my Trophy from...

How come the bike charging system doesn't over charge the battery then if it needs a special charger??
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 07:18:45 pm »
The Dedicated Charger limits the charging voltage to 15 volts which just happens to be the maximum output of the TT(SE) Alternator/Rectifier/Regulator (all-in-one Unit) system fitted..

Normal Lead Acid Chargers have an output which can easily exceed 15 volts. Smart chargers, which have a De-Sulphation cycle as part of their normal operating procedure will also readily exceed 15 volts. I have some that get as high as 18.6 volts.

The LiFePo4 does not suffer from "sulphation" like a Lead Acid battery will if left idle or standing for long periods..

As I've said before I've used one of these batteries for the last 18 months, shared between my other two (First Generation) Hinckley Trophies. These bikes need a "Good" battery to avoid "doing a Sprag", even more so as they get older. The improvement in Starting and Low Speed running is truly remarkable. No more stalling at traffic lights, in slow traffic and when negotiating a parking space. I have monitored the battery temperature and it's never gone above 37 degrees C and that's on the hottest weekend last summer and being "washed over" by very hot air from the engine. I don't generally ride if the outside air temp' is close to freezing for fear of frost, ice etc but the bikes still start and run fine on the occasions when I just had to get out there.

I was only too aware of the inherent dangers of Lithium Ion batteries from my previous Aerospace experience. The LiFePo4 battery is a step further on from these. Hence the price difference..

This Link makes interesting reading and was what finally persuaded me to "take the leap"..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

Cheers