Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Off the Wagon Again...  (Read 8662 times)

Offline tigerbonnierich

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: too many to list...
  • City / Town: Newman Lake, WA
Off the Wagon Again...
« on: January 11, 2015, 04:06:27 pm »
Being an addict of motorcycle addiction, and having succesfully completed my twelve step recovery program, (owning twelve motorcycles..), I have fallen sharply to this serious disorder and have suffered a serious relapse.  I now have thirteen...

This was purely a impulsive action, based upon what I have read, my inability to "just say no", and the pure beauty of a Pacific Blue Trophy sitting in the showroom, calling my name with a level of attraction I could not resist.  Long story, short story, I have one in my shop with Zero miles, yes Zero, as I have not ridden it because of the snow. 

A bike I have not ridden before purchasing? Am I crazy?  Well, maybe, but in terms of the performance, I know I will not be dissapointed.  Owning several Triumphs, and having made two trips to Hinckley for a factory tour, and looking at their commitment to quality and performance, I am sure I will not be dissapointed.

Some questions I have about the bike is the reliability of the electronics, the 10k oil change intervals, and the overall satisfaction with the bike.  If anyone would like to chime in on any of these issues, it would be greatly appreciated...

There is hope on the horizon.  I will soon be compliant with my twelve step program, and recognizing my weakness and taking action towards my recovery. 
I will be selling my BMW 1150rt in the spring. 

Definitely a trade up for me...

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Off the Wagon Again...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:21:23 pm »
Hi Tiger.... and welcome! :400:

Going to seem like a long winter for you!!!

There are so many discussions going on but you will be pleased to hear that generally there appear to be very few troubles with the Trophy. Some guys in the US have been having battery draining issues but this looks as though it has been all tracked back to an issue with the XM satellite radio and has been fixed with a software update....

Other than that, if you have a new bike all should be good for you!

Rather than us telling you everything.... have you got any specific questions we might be able to address??

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »
I have a 2014 TT SE that in a few days I will have owned exactly one year and only have ridden 4500 miles.  The low mileage is partially due to the fact that during the first several weeks of ownership it was in "dealer storage" awaiting a fix to whatever was draining the battery over night - key off! The audio module was ultimately determined the culprit and all was good until yesterday when I went to the garage for a ride and found it dead as a hammer.  (We'll see what the deal is today after an overnight on a tender.)  So, electrical reliability is NOT something I would score high.   :151:

I haven't experienced the 10K service, although I will soon experience the 1-year part of the 10K miles OR 1-year service cycle.  (Folks don't mention the time periodicity, only the mileage.)  I will be checking into the top end clatter during that visit.  I think the related service bulletin might be in order.

Ride experience is a dream. This bike is a pure joy to ride - when it will start..... 

Offline tigerbonnierich

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: too many to list...
  • City / Town: Newman Lake, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »
My most major concern is the reliability of the new technology.  I am used to doing most all of my own work, but the complexity of of this bike leaves me a bit concerned.  I've got a 2014, and perhaps the bugs are worked out of it.  I plan to ride this for at least ten years... 

Time will tell,  but I think I have a winner...

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:36:41 pm »
I too sold my 04 BMW 1150RT and bought my 2014 Blue TTSE without a test ride. We were having the worst winter in many years when I bought mine last December and it was March before I could get any miles on. Now just over a year later I have 20,000 miles on a bike that I wouldn't trade for anything at this point. My TT has been trouble free and a great ride. It did go in for the ECM recall, but I was not having any issues before that. I have added the top box mainly because my wife travels with me a lot. I like that fact the it removes quickly for a solo trip. The Triumph tank bag is used when a long two up trip is planned and it is perfect for rain suits and small items you want to keep accessable. I installed the heated grips and an Airhawk R seat cushion. That pretty much sums up the accessories. Wife and I are impressed with the comfort level and can easily do twice the miles we could on the RT. The TT just is a better fit for both of us.

I changed the oil at 600 miles and used Mobil 1 15/50, I changed it again at 9900 miles and used the same brand and weight. The bike uses no oil and has remained tight with no leaks. I know it is not necessary, but I also change the rear drive oil when I change engine oil. The rear drive oil came out looking new at the 9900 mile change. The bike is now due for the 20,000 check up and valve adjust. I will post more on here when I get to that chore. I do my own work and I am anxious to see how the valves are going check out. The stock Pirellis were gone at 7500 miles and I have been running the Avon Storm XMs with good wear and handling traits. Tires and oil are a personal preference, just putting out what I have used with no ill effects.

I spent six weeks on the road last year, three with my wife and three solo. The bike had wife, me, and was loaded like a pack mule and never skipped a beat nor did I ever want for more power. The handling was much better than the beemer, but to be fair the Beemer had 100,000 on it. In a nutshell. I bought the right bike. Mine has been comfy and trouble free.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:30:56 pm »
Welcome tiger

We do not seem to have the same problems over here.  But some have taken the audio fuse out tomstop the drain.  Also if you have thensat nav fitted others have reported if the sat nav stays on the radio is draining the battery.  There is a software fix that all dealers do not seem to know about  and seems to fix the drain problem.  After that there have been a few issues that triumph have fixed.  Some say theremshoild never be a problem but i am just glad that triumph respond when a problem is found.  I would have hoped all uogrades would be carried out as a matter of course with any new purchase but not all dealers are the same.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:43:01 pm »
 :400: to the forum.  After being told by three different dealers there were no test rides allowed in 2009, I settled on a low seat, low suspension R1200RT.  I had decided after my initial search that I would not buy anything I could not ride first, which to a large degree seemed to rule out the Japanese brands - at least in Texas.  BMW, Harley-Davidson, and Triumph are winning new riders every day due to allowing test rides, and good on them.  I asked one of the Japanese dealers why it was that if I was licensed I could go drive a $75,000 Mercedes Benz, yet they wouldn't let me test ride one of their $20,000 Gold Wings, and the response was "insurance reasons".  I guess some brands dealers have better insurance plans (probably NOT).  Glad you bought the Trophy, and I think you will be thrilled with it if it fits your riding requirements, and it happens to have the longest service intervals of any brand for high mileage riders.
Congratulations, and ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:04:52 pm »
Hi Tiger

My name is Adrian and I am a Bikerholic. :015: :015: Oh dear wrong group  :821: :821:

Welcome you will not be disappointed with the ride and performance. The bettery draining issues on the US bikes has already been mentioned.

No issues with min 2.5k miles in 3 months and all is well.
It wasn't me !!

tweedy-bunch