Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: screen screw and guides. Lubricate or not?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
screen screw and guides. Lubricate or not?
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:37:23 pm »
I have decided to service the bike myself as it is out of warranty and I want a good look under the plastic.

I had a couple of (no more than three times)  glitches with the screen, exhibiting symptoms as though it was reacting to a trapped object. that is on lowering the screen it would stop and the raise a little. The workshop manual indicates that as a safety device if the screen motor draw too high a current it reverses. The actuation screw and guide rods look clean and undamaged, but are not lubricated. The arms and screen look to be correctly positioned.

I would welcome any opinion on lubricating the drive

Geoff

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: screen screw and guides. Lubricate or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »
I usually err on the side of lube.  It is true that lube may attract dirt, question is which causes the most wear.   My prior ST1300's electric adjust mechanism was fully exposed and most of the forum guys thought lube was essential for long life.    I use lubriplate brand 'white lithium' grease, and if I ever expose the innards of my SE I'll use some of that.

My '13's windscreen has generally behaved but I have had it refuse to operate once until a restart of the bike, and it is occasionally .. jerky .. for lack of a better term...

I've got 8 months of warranty left.  Love the bike and am considering buying the extended warranty...  Love has it's cost; the TTSE is an expensive bike to maintain...  Especially all those worn out tires.. !
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06:46 pm »
Hi Thanks for the reply

I looked at an extended warranty, but they all excluded, or did not include the expensive items like electronic suspension, radio module, cruise control, ABS etc

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »
the one I have a flyer for is from Triumph and sounds like it extends the factory warranty 2-6 more years, at a fairly high cost.  I'd better read the fine print...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:56 pm »
I used some ptfe dry lube when I was doing the sat nav wiring and had the front in bits  and spray ACF50 towards the screw thread when I wash the bike (not often).  My screen has never stuck but it might just be luck.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:11:08 pm »
...the one I have a flyer for is from Triumph and sounds like it extends the factory warranty 2-6 more years ...

Triumph UK are not currently ( i.e. as at today's date ) providing Extended Warranties for any of their Models,
( I checked ) , so definitely check the fine print of any such product that is offered - before committing to purchasing it !  :169:

tweedy-bunch