Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Gearchange pedal pivot  (Read 4649 times)

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Gearchange pedal pivot
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:51:17 pm »
With the bike now out of warranty I need to take notice of the faults flagged up on this forum, so had a look at the gearchange pedal pivot bolt and am really glad i did , the lack of grease and the oxidation was I think close to seizing the pedal on the bolt, so while I had the bolt off I decided to beef it up a bit. (going to try some pics)[imghttp://][/img]
Dry as sticks.

I drilled the bolt ready to tap for a 8mm dome head socket bolt, I used a slightly larger pilot drill 9/32 to make it easier to tap and still give a decent fit.
[imghttp://][/img]
Bolt cut to length about 35mm and assembled with strong locktite.
[/URL][/img]
Bolt ready to use.
[/URL][/img]
I did the brake first as I had worked on it previously, used anti seize grease and the same on the gear pedal.

Not a very difficult job, my taps and dies are only Aldi/Walmart quality its more a case of measure twice etc
While doing this job I got to wondering if the gear pedal because of the binding could be holding the selector up and not having any slack then cause wear, like resting a hand on a car manual gearstick while driving, and could this have anything to do with the recent gearbox trouble?

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Gearchange pedal pivot
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:18 pm »
A couple of pics haven't shown.

[/URL][/img]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:38:26 pm by skiprat »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:37:00 am »
Interesting mod skiprat. You've got me thinking
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:21 am »
I did the same but didn't drill the pivot!  Not sure it offers anything to strength but I can be convinced.  I have a couple of spare pivots that I am going to modify at least one just in case.  Mind broke so I had to drill out broken but and helicoil

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:32 am »
One other thing I thought of was to extend the bolt with a spacer and  actually put it through the footrest hanger as well so it is supported at both ends.  Big job but would definitely fix it.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:37 am »
Looks like an interesting and useful Mod - only the one Photo is showing up though,
so you would have to Edit ( Modify ) your post to get the others to show up.

Whatever the web address is for the photo, such as http://www.mytrophyforumphotos/image1.jpg
just paste that into the message, and then highlight it ( left click & drag ),
and click the Insert Image button ( the one under the Bold button ) to enclose it with the correct code  :028:

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
I did the same but didn't drill the pivot!  Not sure it offers anything to strength but I can be convinced.  I have a couple of spare pivots that I am going to modify at least one just in case.  Mind broke so I had to drill out broken but and helicoil
[/quapote]

John think you might have meant "tap the pivot" ? I threaded the pivot to make sure that I didnt add any more lateral movement , I did drill a spare pivot for a bolt with a shoulder but didnt have the range of drill bit sizes to make it a really good fit.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »
"While doing this job I got to wondering if the gear pedal because of the binding could be holding the selector up and not having any slack then cause wear, like resting a hand on a car manual gearstick while driving, and could this have anything to do with the recent gearbox trouble?"

I think you may be on to something there...
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch