Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: its kicks up a lot of dirt at the back  (Read 4130 times)

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
its kicks up a lot of dirt at the back
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
Hi All

Ordered a powerbronze  rear hugger today ,Had a good run out yestereday dry roads but very dirty bike came back covered,so ordered a powerbronze rear hugger :046:
trophy4me

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
Re: its kicks up a lot of dirt at the back
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Yes many on here have but I am yet to be convinced that the £95.00 is worth it. Please post if you find it is effective. I am wondering if a mudguard extension would be better, I have bought neither yet.  :187:
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by davidw3d [+]
Yes many on here have but I am yet to be convinced that the £95.00 is worth it. Please post if you find it is effective. I am wondering if a mudguard extension would be better, I have bought neither yet.  :187:

A mudguard/rear fender extension will not keep the crud from clagging up the rear shock and underseat area, its more likely I would think to hold more dirt under the seat just to minimise muck over the external rear end.

I have fitted a hugger and its worth every penny :152:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
All
I've been following various threads about the fitting of huggers and if it floats your boat then its not up for question BUT!!

Can it be explained to me how fitting a mud guard to the front upper quarter of the rear wheel stops the crap from being thrown up around the back of the bike  :087: If this is correct then surely extending the front of the front mudguard / fender will stop the crap being thrown up onto the radiator and exhaust headers  :138: "I think not" On the other hand if its to stop crap going around the rear shocker then I can understand its function. I cannot comment on the standard TT but my SE has a plate covering the shocker to stop excess crap effecting this area. And in my mind a shocker sock at a quarter of the price will do the job just as well.
I will agree that a rear mudguard extension is required that will stop a lot of the crap from being thrown up around the back and the top box.

Look forward to reading any comments???

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
I too noticed the splash guard when I had a look yesterday. I guess the true test will be when it is wet.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »
Well I was out for a chilly ride today still salt n crap on the roads here ...! I have a SE , came back to the shop cleaned the bike then installed the hugger that finally arrived , took another spin , when I first cleaned there was crap n corruption on the shock ,  after the hugger  it was diminished almost totally , enough that I was satisfied with its performance ...  :821:
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:32:30 AM »
Now I hope after a rear mud guard most of the crap will be kept from living on the TT ...
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Ndo

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chaos [+]
All
I've been following various threads about the fitting of huggers and if it floats your boat then its not up for question BUT!!

Can it be explained to me how fitting a mud guard to the front upper quarter of the rear wheel stops the crap from being thrown up around the back of the bike  :087: If this is correct then surely extending the front of the front mudguard / fender will stop the crap being thrown up onto the radiator and exhaust headers  :138: "I think not" On the other hand if its to stop crap going around the rear shocker then I can understand its function. I cannot comment on the standard TT but my SE has a plate covering the shocker to stop excess crap effecting this area. And in my mind a shocker sock at a quarter of the price will do the job just as well.
I will agree that a rear mudguard extension is required that will stop a lot of the crap from being thrown up around the back and the top box.

Look forward to reading any comments???

Chaos

This post by Chaos echos my skepticism. I have not had any experience with huggers, but I was unders the impression those things where used by 'hot-rodders' who want to streamline their bike. Removing the stock fender and replacing it with a hugger.

I cannot report on my mudguard yet because as soon as I installed it, it stopped raining around here. But I put it too low on the rear fender. The mudguard folds inwardly, I presume during deceleration, and it gets rubbed by the rear tire. So there is a little arch of wear on it.

So for you guys who plan to install mudguard, make sure that if it folds under the rear fender it does not reach the tire like mine does.

tweedy-bunch