Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Any pointers or tips?  (Read 4832 times)

Offline nevil280659

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: ST1300, ST1100 +
  • City / Town: Kent
Any pointers or tips?
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:49 pm »
Hi Folks.

I'm looking at replacing my ageing St1300 with a Trophy. I've ridden Pans for over a decade now (2 x CBR1100's before that) and am seriously tempted by the Triumph. I wondered whether there were any tips or issues to check out on the Trophy? All bikes have something that's a bit flaky (ST1100 swing arm, CBR1100 wiring, rectifier, ST1300 weave, alternator etc) Whats the goods on the Trophy. Any high milers out there (my ST1100 has 76k on it) Any pointers gratefully received, as a strange celestial phenomena has led to a rare alignment of the planets, leading SWMBO to utter the (obviously un-retractable) phrase 'You should go out and buy that blue Triumph'.

I'm keen to know  what I might be letting myself in for!

Cheers (have a virtual pint on me)

Nev

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Any pointers or tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:46 pm »
Welcome to the Forum :400:

Coconut (and others)  has posted some great threads (with others responding) as have others.  In fact others have asked the identical question you asked.  There is a great search tool that with the use of a few key words will let you find virtually anything you need to know.  Or if there is a specific question you have just start a thread.  Everyone will be happy to help you out.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
  :400: to the forum.                                                                                                                                                         "leading SWMBO to utter the (obviously un-retractable) phrase 'You should go out and buy that blue Triumph"
Sounds like the biggest problem has already had a warranty repair.  :745:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline terrytriumphgt1050

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lytham St Annes
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:59 pm »
Hi Nev and welcome to the forum and hopefully Trophy ownership. Like you prior to ownership I used this forum as a source of knowledge to see if any issues were known about prior to parting with my hard earned cash.

Rather than recommend what you should do the following is how my ownership has gone on a new 2014 Trophy over the past 10 months with 9000 miles now on the clock.

1. Rear TPMS sensor failure - Replaced under warranty
2. Front heated seat switch failure - Replaced under warranty
3. In cold temperatures the centre LCD speedo reading does not work, this is reported in other areas of the forum but no fix yet available.
4. Just last week the screen got stuck in the up position, over night the Triumph gremlins must have fixed it because it started working again and has been ok for a week now. Dealership can't fix something that isn't broken.

Other than the above the bike has behaved faultlessly and loving the ride and handling.

Do I have any concerns? only one really and that is at the 2 year point when the warranty runs out and I have any failures how much will it cost. You could say that about any bike but this one is complicated and at this time Triumph do not offer a extended warranty.

I suppose I could replace the bike but what with other than with another Trophy :047:
People who wear ties tell lies.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:29 pm »
Hi Nev and welcome :400:

The Trophy is a great bike and a great forum to help you learn all about it..

Yes, there have been some issues but by and large all sorted to everyone's satisfaction by Triumph.

It is a complex bike with lots of toys and gadgets and as you would expect it occasionally throws a wobbly.

Lots of threads with many discussions so have a look through or just ask if you have specifics of concern.... Someone will pitch in!

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »
2014 "Blue Triumph" with 20,000 miles and zero issues so far.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »
If you are buying a new one you should have no problems.  As for the concerns of cost of ownership after the warranty runs out. This bike should be the cheapest tourer to maintain as it has the longest service intervals of any ST bike and Triumph parts are usually cheaper than Honda, Yamaha and BMW 

Offline GolforRide

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Coquitlam
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 01:44:05 am »
 :400:I bought a used 2013 in November 2014 1900 km on it.
I came with a 4 year extended warranty so I'm covered until 2018.
The bike is complex and has a few gremlins but overall it's the best bike I've ever owned by buddies with BMW r1200rt are jealous of what came standard.
Mine has all the options probably a $24000 bike and I stole it for $14000.
Take a chance you will not regret it.
Please take my opinion, I'm not using it!!!