Hi from Berkshire England by trophied
[Today at 01:53:18 pm]

2021 Iron Butt Rally by HACKLE
[Today at 12:18:50 pm]

So, what do you do for a living? by brenchley
[Today at 11:06:51 am]

How To Use TigerTool V3.1 Service Utility Software by T800XC
[Today at 01:13:25 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Digital Voltage indication..  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Digital Voltage indication..
« on: January 19, 2015, 05:03:17 pm »
Battery and Alternator performance is something that regular readers may have gathered is much on my mind - not helped by tales of dead batteries and Audio Unit problems.

I've already replaced the 2+ y.o. OE battery with a LiFePo4 replacement - that's working just fine so far. I doubt it's even been fully charged whilst on the Bike as what with the weather etc I've not been out much this week. But standing idle in the garage has given me ample opportunity to see just how it copes with the TTSE demands when it's not being run. Following my last ride (over a week ago now) the Battery Terminal voltage fell initially from to 13.8 volts and has remained fairly constant at 13.2 volts.. for the last three days.

Thoughts of the Digital Voltmeter I formerly had fitted to my Tiger 800 to monitor Alternator Output/Battery Terminal Voltage came to mind.
With all sorts of "System" requirements I had reasoned that Monitoring the voltage at the Auxiliary Socket in the Stowage Box on the left-hand side would be the easiest option for a first attempt. This only gets "Power" once the Engine is running and if I mess things up the worst that will happen is a blown 10Amp fuse (Front Fuse Box position #2).
Removed the LH panel and stuck a wire up each of the Aux Socket connections, ran the wires back through the rubber boot and up inside the LH Mirror fairing and along the top of the speaker grille. Solder them to the "tails" from the eBay special, really cheap (about £3) but accurate enough Digital Volmeter Display (suitably waterproofed with electrical insulating tape). Stuck the DVM to the Instrument fascia just above the LH Speaker with double-sided tape and a rubber pad.

I'm not proud of the soldering or wiring - this is just a first attempt - the last thing I want to do is damage the quite beautiful finish of the Cockpit Panels in general. When I come to a Final version I may just source another speaker grille (or blank panel) and mount the meter there.

About two seconds after starting the bike the Voltage appears as 14.1 volts. This I confirm by measuring with my hand-held DVM at the battery terminals. The Tiger 800 voltage was always 14.1 or 14.2 volts depending on what "Services" I had selected - Heated Grips and/or Fog Lights. I suspect the TTSE output will be about the same.
14.2 volts is well within the allowable limits (15 volts) for the LiFePo4 battery as well - so all is good on that front.
So from now on, if there is much deviation from the "normal" value I will know there might be an "issue" somewhere..

Cheers
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Digital Voltage indication..
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:44:26 pm »
Nice one !

An alternative could be to wire that Voltmeter in to the Sat Nav power supply,
so that you can easily see that the Sat Nav & Audio system circuit has shut down
when the Ignition is turned off, and is therefore not draining the battery -
this being a reported fault on a few Trophy's , although mainly in the US
where they have a slightly diferent radio with an XM radio.

Cheers  :821:

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:49 pm »
Being a mere "Member" and not a "Master" like you Coconut - I have not really sussed out the best place for the Sat Nav power supply as yet..
It's fitted (as shown) by not running off the bike as yet

My Audio Unit appears to be operating correctly - no battery drain detected - but as I don't use it I've removed the Fuse (today) just in case..

:152:

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:20:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
An alternative could be to wire that Voltmeter in to the Sat Nav power supply,so that you can easily see that the Sat Nav & Audio system circuit has shut down when the Ignition is turned off, and is therefore not draining the battery -
If his GPS is connected to the Triumph stock power connector on the left side of the fairing, he already has such an indicator. That is powered from the audio module and if stuck on, the GPS won't shut down with the ignition switch.

I watch to see my GPS shut down every time I turn the ignition key off. I have no trace of the problem even though I don't have the module software update.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:44:32 pm »
Hi Gordon3xBBB,

No worries !

There's plenty of information within these Forums about the dedicated GPS Power supply,
which is located underneath the left hand mirror pod behind the Fairing.

It IS possible to get at it by just removing the mirror pod plastic,
but is usually easier to locate it if the complete Fairing is removed ( which takes longer ! ).

There is also a 3.5mm Audio Jack plug in the same area,
which is for connecting the Audio cable from the Zumo 660 GPS cradle to.

Location of Power & Audio connectors :

The suggestion to you ( and for the benefit of others ) to use that as a place to connect a Voltmeter
is that it WILL let you kno if there is a fault with that circuit not switching off with the Ignition if,
for example, you either don't have, or do not use your GPS on every trip  :015:

If you haven't connected up your GPS yet, then this article by Member "davybull" is very useful :
Fitting Triumph Sat Nav mount & Zumo

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:47:11 pm by Coconut »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:17 pm »
Thanks Coconut, that's very helpful..

I'd gone through the Circuit Diagrams looking for just such a connector without success - and found a few anomalies - but this could be very useful. I suppose I will require a specific "connector/pigtail" to connect to my lowly TomTom Rider.

Removal of the fairing is planned for when/if my "Bargain" Adventure Bars arrive..

Thanks again.

:821:

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:06 pm »
For the Power, you can get Triumph Part A9938122 ( £8.00 )
which has a plug on one end to plug directly into the dedicated Sat Nav Power Supply socket,
and either 2 bare wires, or bullet conectors on the other end -to connect your device to. 

See attached Instructions below  :028:

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »
Thanks again....I'll get one on Order asap

tweedy-bunch