Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I can't believe I did it again!  (Read 11303 times)

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph SE
  • City / Town: Central CA
I can't believe I did it again!
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:15:05 am »
Out on a day ride with my lovely wife and we decide to take a lunch break. I'm pulling into a little side burger joint and the parking lot is a bit small and full (some bikes or Harleys depending on your definition, LOL, but mostly cars) and I go to make a left hand U turn and the bike goes into neutral and we fall over. I have never been so pissed in my life!!! Saying that….. this is the second time I have tipped over the bike. Both times with her on the back. First time making a right hand turn and a little boy runs out in front of us and I grab the front brake because my right foot is down for the turn. Now the question is…. Do I need some kind of refresher on slow bike handling???? I have been to 3 or 4 MSF classes back in the 80's and was asked to be an instructor. But it seems that this bike is just F'en top heavy!!! Or is it just me??? Anyone else feel like its a handful at slow speed (like walking speed?)? The last bike we had with no problem was a 2011 Sprint GT. The wife doesn't seem to be making any sudden moves….. And I don't want her to get hurt either! Give me some suggestions…..   :440:
Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately, ride often!!!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: I can't believe I did it again!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:47:46 am »
A woman I once knew very well more than once told me that any man worth his salt can always find a way to blame a woman.   :008:

Seriously though the best thing I can suggest is to remember the Trophy is a very heavy bike and to ride it as such.  Actually ride it like a bike that was twice as heavy as it is.    And/or get some crash bars.  I've been fortunate in that I've never been down on the Trophy but I could see where it could easily happen. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:06:11 am »
Well after this weekend I have seriously thought about crash bars. But I love the stock look and don't want it end up looking like an Adventure bike.  :003:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:20:50 am »
I have to admit I don't have crash bars either.  I too prefer the stock look.  As I said earlier I've never dropped the Trophy but if I ever do I'll probably regret not having them.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:39:40 am »
Surprisingly the damage is pretty minimal, my last go around cost $300. And it was all paint. This time I will need to replace the left turn signal and the left hard bag badge.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 04:56:36 am »
You got off pretty lightly each time.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:01 am »
Commiserations... I haven't dropped mine yet but I know it's horrible when it happens.

Two points though.
1) In comparison to the earlier variants of the Hinckley Trophy - the TT(SE) is nowhere near as Top-Heavy. I find it an absolute breeze at low speeds in parking lots etc
2) You're never too old to take Training... I'm only 62 y.o. and although an Advanced Rider, I still do Training - all the time. Every time I'm out on the Bike I tell my good Lady it's a Training ride...Seriously A Slow Speed Handling Course, possibly run by a Local Advanced Riding Group would not got amiss..

We're not talking about zipping through cones spaced two metres apart in figures of eight etc - they give you a bit more room than that...but it helps with confidence and gives you a refresher in the basic rules of Slow-Riding.
Saying that I only ever ride Solo - it must be so much more difficult with a Pillion

Head Up - look where you want to go
Engine revs/Clutch at Bite point - control speed using the REAR Brake ONLY
Feet UP
Balance
Relax

Glad you are both OK and the bike is not too badly damaged
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:11:48 am »
Good advice here

In the past I've dropped my Honda ST1300 (twice), and my GTR1400 (once)
Haven't dropped the TT yet, and hopefully never will
I've installed the crash bars last year, just before a european trip. I thought that if the bike goes down, I want to minimise the damage as much as possible, especially when I'm thousands of miles away from home

The best advise I had was from a off-road trainer: on bends and when slow riding, always had off the front brake, completely off, to avoid grabbing it too quickly in a panic situation

I found that with heavy bikes such as the TT, the best way to manoeuvre it at slow speed is to:
   shift your body to the front;
   both feet on the pegs, even on right hand manoeuvres;
   grab the tank with your knees tight (this is the most important);
   tip torso slightly forward in order to bend arms;
   hold your weight with your back, not your arms;
   heavy on the back brake;
   keep arms light on the handlebars, as relaxed as possible

This technique allows me to run very tight turns at full lock at very low speed, maintaining the bike upright without leaning

Of course, in your case, the bike popping in to neutral during the maneuver is just very bad luck, and I don't think you could have done much to save it

Glad the damage is not too bad