Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Do it myself 20,000 mile check up  (Read 6751 times)

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Do it myself 20,000 mile check up
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
Biggest chore is getting to the things that need attention. Lots of plastic and other bits and pieces to deal with. Make notes and take photos. All of the intake valves were in spec and I will leave them alone. One exhaust valve was in spec and the other five were tight. Not alarmingly tight, but out of spec. I am glad I did not tear the bike down at 10,000 just to replace the air filter. It will be changed now, but is still not too bad. Once again that depends on your riding environment. Engine oil and filter changed as was the rear drive oil. I know it is not called for, but I change rear drive oil at every engine oil change, always have. I have owned seven shaft drive bikes, put between 80 and 100,000 on each of them and never had a rear drive failure. I will stick to my schedule. I completely disassembled the entire shift linkage and cleaned and lubed that little beast since it has been a source of misery for a few folks. I need to inspect the brakes and have my buddy plug the bike in and check for codes etc. He races a Triumph and has all of the goodies needed for that little chore. In a nutshell, everything went smoothly. No left over parts. Not a hard job, but time consuming, at least the first time.  :028: 

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Do it myself 20,000 mile check up
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »
 :460:
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »
Any special tools needed to check valves?
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:41 pm »
HI Navy Dad,

Good to hear you done all your own work.  My bike is just about coming to the end of the warranty and from here on in I intend to do my own check ups, replacements and adjustments.   I have always used a Workshop manual issued by Haynes but to date none exists from the TTSE1215.  I'm a bit nervous :187: working without it, especially when it comes to Torque settings.  Do you use a manual? 

Freeway Phil

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:00:52 pm »
I've read the topic on Spark Plugs and wonder if it's easier to drop the engine out for checking valves...! :033:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:03:39 pm by RocketSteve »
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 10:57:18 pm »
atrophy, I have a good quality supply of wrenches/sockets/gauges etc. Triumph has a tool that you need in order to remove the shims, but I find it just as easy to pull the camshaft if you have more than one valve to adjust. Sounds scary, but really not a bad job.

Phil Freeway, no manual in use here. I too keep things torqued to factory recommendations and what I can not find on my own I will call the dealership where I bought the bike and they will give me the numbers. It pays to have a good relationship with a dealer. Even though I do my own work I get my parts, filters, etc. from them. It is a bit more expensive, but pays when I have a question.

RocketSteve, even if you choose to drop the engine you will still have to remove the air box first. By the time you get the tank and other goodies out of the way in order to remove the air box you are practically to the valves and plugs. I believe it would be much more work to do it that way. I plan on replacing plugs, filters, and any other such items while I am in this far. Be good for another 20K.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:58:50 pm by NavyDad »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »
The Triumph Service Manual for the TT(SE) is available to buy from your Triumph Dealer for about £85 in the UK.
Sure, it's expensive and there are one or two minor errors but you can always cross-check with the Dealer.
Haynes are all very well but take a few years to come out and to be honest the quality/clarity of the photographs is not a patch on a clear line drawing or diagram.
I'll be tackling all but the software driven servicings myself after 20K miles so the TSM is essential in my opinion for this kind of work.
Even if you don't tackle all the work yourself you can loan it to your trusted Mender of Choice to help them do the job properly..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:05:40 am »
I'm a bit nervous :187: working without it, especially when it comes to Torque settings

Previously posted in another part of the forum, here's a useful document :  :028:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:07:34 am by Coconut »

tweedy-bunch