Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy vs K1600GTLE  (Read 9637 times)

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
Trophy vs K1600GTLE
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »
Well, after much deliberation, and despite many people advising me against it, I've changed my 14 plate Triumph Tiger for a K1600 of a similar age.

I'm still keeping the Trophy for four reasons

a) I'll be in a position to make a valid comparison between the two bikes

b) We're already booked up for a couple of long distance Triumph Owners' events, and the Tiger doesn't do luggage very well

c) The Trophy's on a PCP and is in massive negative equity so I'd have had to have paid £1500 to get rid

d) I'm still fond of the old girl

My question is, I wonder if anyone else on the forum is running a Trophy/K1600 combo, and how's it working out?

A long shot I know, because it's not a duo that would spring to mind for obvious reasons, but I thought I'd ask anyway

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Trophy vs K1600GTLE
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:25 am »
I'm not running a combo, because I had to trade my 2012 K1600 on the Trophy.  I did get a good trade though, in fact a wash with all the extras I wanted included and all I paid was the title and license, and labor for installing the R&G bars.  Personally, I like the Trophy SE better, and it's equipped almost identically to the GTL.  K1600's are indeed road rockets, and sooo smoooooth.  Enjoy the new ride.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:08:44 am »
I'm not running that combination of bikes but I will comment that all four of your reasons for keeping the Trophy sound very good to me.  I'll be especially interested in hearing your comments on the comparison.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:53:24 am »
I would not mind running an adventure bike/Trophy combination, but will wait until the warranty on the Trophy is over end of this year, as want to put distance on it as much as possible. I would be interested in how others go with this combination, the pros and cons. Adventure bikes make some sense down here for going to off the beaten track places.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:10 am »
Unfortunately, I don't have the garage space to justify the luxury of multiple bikes (other than my partners BMW) so I don't get to run a combo. I probably COULD squeeze something in but not a K1600 too.

I will certainly be looking forward to reading your comparisons as they will boreal life comparisons from an everyday biker like the rest of us not a glorified sales pitch done by motoring journalists with a vested interest in promoting the latest model.

When I did test ride a K1600 for a day I have to say the engine was amazing. I hope they can shed a few pounds and sort out the transmission in the future so it is as smooth as the engine. I will have another look at it then
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:16:28 pm »
There is a K1600S (I think thats the designation) Sport model out there that doesn't have as much plastic or luxury equipment on it and weighs less.  The one that intrigues me from BMW is the S1000XR due out later this year.  A retuned S1000 with a more upright seating position, longer travel suspension, and the ability to attach luggage, although not as much bodywork.  Agreed it will be very interesting to hear the current version K1600 comparison to our Trophies.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:28:30 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]

When I did test ride a K1600 for a day I have to say the engine was amazing. I hope they can shed a few pounds and sort out the transmission in the future so it is as smooth as the engine. I will have another look at it then

I testrode one at Clarks and the transmission and final drive was a little snatchy, but acceptable. Anyway, as luck would have it, they sold that one. I just missed out on another at Pidcocks, and then I stumbled across a demo bike at North Oxford, and the transmission on the one I'm picking up next Saturday is as good as my Trophy (so very good). So I feel lucky to have tried out the actual bike, as opposed to buying blind.

There's an awful lot of gizmos on it - I'll probably need to go on a college course - we'll see. Clearly that means more to go wrong, but there's 15 months warranty left, so fingers crossed.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:20 pm »
It does indeed have a lot of gizmos on it, and accessing them while on the road is possible and even almost irresistible, BUT, there are so many menus to scroll around in that it can be detrimental to your riding life.  Sometimes on a lonely, straight, unoccupied road it could be a little safer, but I find it almost mesmerizing to the point of not even realizing where I've come from.  I've decided that I need to refrain from anything more distracting than changing the radio station when I'm underway.
Hope you love the beemer, it is different from anything else!