Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: From tiger 800 to Trophy??  (Read 1523 times)

Offline grey

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
From tiger 800 to Trophy??
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
Hello from the Netherlands,

I'm currently riding a Tiger 800, but the Trophy is a possible candidate to replace the tiger.
There are still 2 bikes on my shortlist, FJR 1300 and the Trophy 1200.
The FJR is very well known to me, the Trophy requires a long test ride  :002:
Your info on this forum might help me make a decision.

Cheers  :821:

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: From tiger 800 to Trophy??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
Hi grey,

The Trophy and the FJR are quite different bikes- the Yamaha being a "sports tourer" and the Triumph being a pure tourer.

The FJR is getting rather long in the tooth but is still a very good bike, whereas the Trophy is brand new and very much the new "best in class".

Your choice will depend very much on your riding style, type of riding you do and of course, money!

I am sure that if you test ride the Trophy you will agree that it is superb, the next question would be: is it right for you?

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »
I've just changed from a 2007 FJR1300AS to a Trophy and can confirm what BluePilot says, the FJR and Trophy are quite different.
I've only done a few hundred miles on my Trophy after a fairly length test ride, and although the Trophy has a lot to live up to, it's making a very good go of it!
Key points for me are:

FJR was comfortable, Trophy is very comfortable.
Weather protection on the FJR was good, on the Trophy it's very good.
Maneuverability on the FJR was good, on the Trophy it's very good, especially for a bike bike around town.
Trophy seems to have more low speed torque, but the FJR ultimately had more raw power. (This might change when the Trophy is fully run in!)

I love the cruise control which the FJR didn't have (I know the 2013 FJR has got it), however, it's almost impossible to set the cruise speed without jerkiness because you have to let go of the throttle to reach the set button. Why didn't Triumph put the cruise controls on the left handlebar - like on the new FJR?

Without going in to a long list of other comparisons, I think the Trophy wins against my 2007 FJR. It might have been closer with the 2013 FJR, but I needed a Triumph!
 :047:

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »
Glad you're pleased with your new Trophy! Regarding the throttle grip and Cruise Control issue, I couldn't agree with you more. However, being the clever man I am..... :033:.....I bought a Throttle Meister and had it installed. Now I can tighten up the action just enough so no more rebound when I reach for the Cruise! Try it, you may like it.  :018:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
Yes, I can't believe that cruise control arrangement was tried and tested by a biker. Makes me wonder if engineers actually ride what they design. I find it better to leave the cruise on always and when I want to use it I reach across with my left hand and set it. A pain compared to the BMWs I was used to.
Caoimhín

tweedy-bunch