Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cam chain tensioner  (Read 14923 times)

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Cam chain tensioner
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:01 pm »
I know I have brought this up before but now the weather is cold and I am only starting the bike every couple of weeks it is much worse.
When I start the bike it sounds like a football rattle for about 2 seconds this is so loud it must be doing some damage. I have had the tensioner changed my dealer says it is normal but I cant believe nobody else is complaining about this.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Re: Cam chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:07 pm »
I'm with you on this one Malcolm, but it is the nature of the beast when you use a hydraulic tensioner that has to have oil pressure to actually push on the chain. I don't know why Triumph didn't use a spring actuated ratcheting one like most other brands. I wish I could find one from a Yamaha that would fit the same hole. I would swap it out in a hurry. I know the ones on my atv work really well and almost never wear out.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »
Service Manual Chapter 3.5 :

The chain is guided by two blades and is tensioned by a hydraulic tensioner.

The hydraulic tensioner is fed oil via an gallery in the cylinder head.

The combination of hydraulic pressure and spring pressure pushes the plunger
against the tensioner blade which tensions the camshaft drive chain.

The hydraulic tensioner has an oil pressure relief valve located in the plunger
that is set to open between 12 - 16 bar and when open sprays oil
through a drilling in the tensioner blade onto the camshaft drive chain.
My underlining ! -  :084:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:08:30 pm by Coconut »

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:26:31 pm »
I wonder if Triumph can change the spring pressure to allow a higher starting pressure before the oil pressure takes over. It is a little annoying hearing all that rattle at start up knowing that something has to be hitting something to make that much noise. And why would you need oil spray on a cam chain that should be going through the oil bath at the bottom of the engine and carrying some that oil with it on its run. Or does the cam chain sprocket on the lower end not run directly off the crank. Haven't really looked at a close up parts view of the entire engine. :187:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:30 pm »
This was the final thing that made me sell mine , as the bike was now out of warranty it suddenly made the noise , did it a few times then did not do it for a week or so then started again. :084: :084:
  Being a car mechanic and cars working on the same principle we change the guides and tensioner straight away so could see expensive future looming  :187: :187:

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »
The cam chain does run off the end of the crankshaft, but neither the chain nor the crank run in an oil bath. Think of the drag on the engine if the parts actually slogged through the oil. They are lubricated through the many galleries that are machined into the engine. That is why there is an oil pump, it pumps the oil through these ports to the parts. If you suspect a problem with one of the tensioners they are very easy to get to and inspect. The TT engine is actually a pretty simple design and easy to work on compared to some of the bikes out there. Pain in the butt to get to and the electronics can seem overwhelming, but the engine is pretty basic.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:15 pm »
If my Trophy has been left a while and/or it is particularly cold then I get a couple of clatters immediately after start but I don't get hung up on it.

I understand the design used and whether you agree with it or not it is a valid choice and other engines use it and have done so for many years. If it continued for more than a few seconds then yes, get it it looked at but nothing it does is not part of the design so don't go looking for problems, go looking for good roads instead!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
When the roads clear, my 2013 with 32K miles on it is getting a new cam chain tensioner.  The rattle on mine goes on for about 1 mile after starting, less loud than the initial startup 2 seconds but too loud for sure.   Last time I had it in for service I emphasized that it needed looking at, but they never took it out for a RIDE when it is most noticable until the day I picked it up.  When I went back to ride off, they were listening to the engine with stethoscopes, and the tech apologized for not catching it.  I swear they don't listen to what we say even face to face...   No part in stock, need authorization from Triumph, which took 2 weeks!! and by that time winter had closed in.    Also developed the dead battery radio syndrome about the same time.   But at least my dealer knows about the firmware upgrade..

I love this bike, but have some trust issues now...

I have warranty until August.   Not sure I'd want to own this bike without active warranty...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT