Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Not a good start.  (Read 15501 times)

Offline robbie1401

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: llanelli, Wales
Not a good start.
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:07:13 pm »
Noticed brakes binding when I move bike in garage. Went out yesterday and within half mile brakes started to bind and bring me to stop. Eased as they cooled and eventually freed. Not been happy with rear brake since I,ve had the bike, no bite at all.
Phoned dealer, Bevans of Cardiff and asked for it to be looked at under warranty. Reply...... "you,ve been riding in bad weather, they all do that. Give the caliper a wack with a wooden mallet.." my reply" the bike is 4 months old and i would like to decide what weather I take it out   in, I don't know what bikes you've been riding but they all DON'T do that" He eventually agreed to book it in. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought a Triumph after reading the brake problems on this forum. Keep you updated

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Not a good start.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:33:53 pm »
BS, I'd say.  I've had disk braked bikes since 1974, still have my Z1 with 60,000 miles and 41 years on it, and never any kind of binding/freezeup on it or any of the rest, and I ride in any weather right up to ice on the roads...

or.. if it IS true..  Something is dreadfully wrong in design...  32K and one winter on my TTSE and haven't had THAT issue yet..

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline robbie1401

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:31 pm »
Exactly my thoughts. If they think i'm taking a hammer to a new bike they can think again

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:37 pm »
I ride all year round and had no problem with the brakes.  If I put it away wet then the front disc grates a bit for the first turn out of the garage but not binding.  Not sure about any brake problem apart from perhaps on some bikes the pads wearing out a bit quickly.  I have had the rear replaced at 10000

Sounds like the dealer needs a bit of a hammering!  But not with an actual hammer.

Offline robbie1401

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:15 pm »
Do you find the rear brake lacks bite? I have to stand on the lever to get any effect, I know its got abs but It doesn't instill confidence.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:30 pm »
I am not used to using the back brake and I have to force myself to use it.  I do find. I have to push harder than the sprint but it is linked  and therefore has to be progressive pressure. 

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: blackpool
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »
Was it the rear brake binding or front , took mine in for 10k (2 year ) service (8500 on clock) and while servicing found rear caliper seized on slides ( they were surprised as it was a clean bike with no signs of winter riding) but as they tried to free off broke the mounting onto rear shaft drive housing , Must admit dealer was great , took new shaft drive housing and caliper off new bike in show room to get me back on road and did all work under warranty but for a bike only 2 years old not used in winter I was surprised this happened , so was the dealer . Be careful of hitting rear caliper with any hammer or mallet as mounting onto housing not very strong

Offline robbie1401

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:19 pm »
I have no intention of hitting the caliper of a 4 month old bike with 2000 miles with a hammer. Next statement from dealer would be warranty void because you meddled with it. No I think i'll wait and bring it up with owners

tweedy-bunch