Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bike on Centre stand, engine started then put into 1st gear.  (Read 4184 times)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Bike on Centre stand, engine started then put into 1st gear.
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:01 pm »
Didn't know how to start this but to all it isn't as scary as it seems.

I came home on leave yesterday and decided to check out the bike as usual :002: I leave the bike on the Centre stand I was about to check the tyre pressures and found the back wheel a little stiff in neutral. Started the engine and put it into 1st gear. This cleared the brake that was slightly sticking.
tyres checked no problems.
Now two things. 1 / After reading about more Gear lever pivot bolts snapping I decided to check mine yet again. All working fine and no signs of any furring or corrosion. Tho agree only real test is to remove the bolt and check the shaft inside. I do regular lube under the bike when leaving.
2/  As the bike had warmed up nicely I decided to just run through the gears get the Shaftdrive oil circulating.  There was a loud clunking noise in every gear coming from the shaft drive. Put it back into neutral all OK. My thoughts which have been confirmed by the dealer is there was no loading on the Back wheel, drive or suspension.
When I called the dealer he confirmed my suspicions and this happens both on the Trophy and the Explorer.
So to allay any worries. It is nothing to worry about but it is a scary sound and I would not recommend running like that for long :156:

I did however order 2 pivot bolts from World of Triumph just to have. Also when I get them I will let the forum know, so you know where they are.

seadog
seadog

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Bike on Centre stand, engine started then put into 1st gear.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:43:23 pm »
I did both pivot bolts on my (new to me) '12 TTSE over the weekend.

The bike has been "over" on the LHS at some point in the past so was not surprised to find that the Gear Lever Pivot bolt was slightly bent... Easy to spot when you undo it..

It ain't now.

Why did you get yours from World of Triumph ?
Don't you have a Local Triumph Dealer you could use ?

I always use my Local Dealer, and being a TOMCC Member and a "Good Customer" I get 10% Discount on all Triumph Spares..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »
Gordon

Thanks for the info. Mine is a launch model year 12 too. I just never thought to be honest. So easy to do it via internet. I don't think my dealer would have it in stock or maybe.

Forgot about the TOMCC also a member :125:

Just out of interest did you re new the cover bolts as stated in the owners service manual? or just reuse the old ones. When my dealer adjusted the brake pedal I am sure he just used the old bolts with Blue locktite.

seadog
seadog

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
Hi seadog,

Nope, I re-used the old Cover Bolts with a dab of Loctite on the last three threads. Used an air-line to blow out the "old" factory loctitie debris first though.

My Local Dealer doesn't usually have "Stock" of whatever Items I want...but whether I call-in in person or do it over the phone they can usually get the items within 2 days.
As I'm retired I perhaps don't have the same time constraints as those who are still gainfully employed..

To be honest, I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work before I retired..

:821:
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]
So easy to do it via internet. I don't think my dealer would have it in stock or maybe.

I agree it is easier to use the internet but I still patronize local businesses whenever possible.  I figure it is better to spend my money locally and keep a the businesses around.  Otherwise the dealer isn't going to be around when you need that service work done or the free advice or the Triumph only part.  And I'll pay a few percent more to that local businessman just to not have to rely on the big box store.  Just my thoughts.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:09:28 am »
I agree with what you both said. I am a very loyal customer of my local dealer and they are very good.

Some times tho when I am working offshore it is easier to order things online then usually when I get back they are waiting for me.

But I agree support your local businesses whenever.

The bolts arrived promptly and now in my stores. :002:  I spoke to my dealer and they had had 1 bike in with this problem so I think precautions are advised. Especially if you are away and have the part just need to locate a decent garage workshop.

seadog

seadog
seadog

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:50:57 am »
Yes, the Trophy shaft does make funny noises with no load on, but is designed to work best while motoring along.

tweedy-bunch