Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Battery again?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
Battery again?
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
The battery is less than one year old, changed under warrenty after having some power issues
I keep the bike on a tender when not in use (Optimate4)
The bike was last used last Sunday for a short ride, and it's been in the garage plugged in to the Optimate since then
I went out for a ride today, for about 1 hour. Rode it on A roads between 50 and 80mph most of the time and between 4k and 6krpm (that should charge the battery just fine)
Got back home and plugged it back in as usual
The optimte shows the red light flashing, which according to the manual translate to: "3.3 TURBO RECOVERY - For a badly neglected battery TURBO RECOVERY engages and LED #3 flashes"
No signs battery discharges or problems on the instruments, except for the usual "power low" and "radio off" messages when I first turn the engine on. These messages usually disappear  after a couple of seconds
Not sure what to think. The bike starts just fine and runs well
Today was 7 degrees celsius when I left and dropped to 4 on my way back, although that shouldn't have a massive impact on the battery
I'm confused  :084:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Battery again?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
I use optimates on all my bikes and even cars but often I find them flashing all sorts of things even on good batteries not sure why they get confused.  The only way to really check is to [put a meter across the battery (or better still a load test) if you think something is wrong.  Does the engine turn over well and start.  If so I would think it is the optimate rather than the battery.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:50:30 am »
Like John says it could be the Optimate giving you a false reading -
I've heard of this before where there was a "dodgy" connection.

I can't remember whether it was the Optimate lead where it connects to the battery,
or at the in-line plug in connector, but the poor connection was giving a false indication
on the Optimate display, and probably not charging the battery correctly either.

If you are confident the Optimate is OK then I'd get the battery tested
as it's not unheard of for them to "die", especially if they have ever been allowed
to drop to a very low voltage level.

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »
I've left the optimate connected for several hours to see what would happen
After about 1 and 1/2 hour the yellow light (testing) started flashing, and after another 15-20 minutes the green one came on. Good sign.
This is normal behaviour for the optimate when dealing with badly discharged batteries (according to the manual)
I guess this is sign that the optimate is ok and the problem might be with the battery? I hope not  :006:
After a couple of days everything looks ok and the bike starts just fine.
I really hope this was a one off incident.
Ah, I forgot to mention that the alternator was also replaced under warranty last summer, so I assumed I wouldn't have any problems.
Will keep an eye on it I guess  :083:

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »
Get the Battery load tested.
Eliminate doubts

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:56:48 am »
You could also measure battery voltage while running (around 14.4) and when left to rest for a while after a ride (12.8). I tried to run the battery down a bit to see if the battery warning light would come on (headlights on, driving lights on, bike not running) but it just sat above 12.1 for ages so I gave up.   Batteries can fail though, so a load test at a battery place might be worth doing.