Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: silly fall  (Read 3749 times)

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
silly fall
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
yesterday in a curve with sand, no traction control worked and went to ground.
I advise you to fit stoppers of crash, r & b bars do not protect what breaks.
broke, left turn signal, mirror shovels, gearshift lever, anchor glove, striped number.
the first thing to fall touches are the tips of the mirrors, you have to put a cap screwed to the engine block.
if you look at the cowl vent, is a large screw, there you have to put the stop and protruding mirrors

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: silly fall
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
Hi miss, sorry to hear about your "off".

Just to clarify, traction control (or ABS for that matter) is not designed to prevent tyres breaking grip on a loose surface on a bend- only  in a straight line.

The mirror covers are indeed one of the first parts to touch. If you look closely they are fitted with small rubber "caps" on the end which are designed to be replaced in the event of a drop. Obviously they cannot prevent damage from a more severe accident.

Hope you got away without too much damage to yourself.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Ndo

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
600 hundred dollars worth or worthless crash bars.

I almost dropped mine today. I was going to turn left and changed my mind (like an idiot) I did not have enough centrifugal force to switch, anyways, I was able to muscle the thing and prevented from falling.

I thought about those RnG bars even though I don't think they are designed to do the job effectively, and sure enough. here is an example.

Maybe someone will start making sliders for the TT. One for the front and rear axle, one for the handlebars and some nice ugly ones sticking out the engine bay.

Or,  we can wait until the TT becomes the premier LE motto and it will be configured with great bars then. Otherwise, it will never make LE specs.

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
Really don't think they are designed for sliding 301kg of bike at any speed down the road. They are for the odd hiccup when you stall turn or as some have done forget to put the side stand down.

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
mal suerte. sorry to hear the bad news miss, hope you get repaired and back on the road soon and can start enjoying your bike again,we have all done it at some point and know how gutting it is. I am sure you dont need patronising i will leave that to some of the other members to explain what you already know. lo siento y paz. :431: :005:
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Ndo,

R&G DO make sliders for handlebars, front forks, swingarm and exhaust. I have them all fitted to my bike, but accept that they are designed to take low speed/stationary drops. As Triplemania says, nothing will stop such a large bike being damaged in a major drop/off.

BP

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by BluePilot [+]
Hi miss, sorry to hear about your "off".

Just to clarify, traction control (or ABS for that matter) is not designed to prevent tyres breaking grip on a loose surface on a bend- only  in a straight line.

The mirror covers are indeed one of the first parts to touch. If you look closely they are fitted with small rubber "caps" on the end which are designed to be replaced in the event of a drop. Obviously they cannot prevent damage from a more severe accident.

Hope you got away without too much damage to yourself.

BP

precisely because I thought traction control was indicated on rear wheel skidding in curves

Rubber bumpers mirrors, are designed for falls, but are poorly designed, as they are too flexible and absorbs energy from the blow the fairing and breaks

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
Unfortunately there is very is very little that will prevent significant damage when a bike the size of the Trophy goes down at a speed greater than a couple of mph.

I agree that the mirror/indicator fitting could be better designed. On the ST1300 the indicator/mirror cover is a clip-on unit that breaks away on impact. If damaged it can be replaced without having to replace any fairing.

I sympathise with you in your pain.

BP

tweedy-bunch