Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lowering the bike.  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Older traveler

• Trophy Member
  • USE IT !!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bridgeton NJ
Lowering the bike.
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:59 pm »
Not ever lowering a motorcycle before I have a question. Will this affect the drive shaft angle? I've lifted a few trucks in my time and have always changed the angle of the drive shaft. Depending on the amount of the lift I needed to make the shafts longer. If I lower the bike what happens to the drive shaft? There’s plenty of talk about the brakes, center of gravity, seat height and the front forks but I haven’t seen anything about the drive shaft. Maybe it just doesn't matter. 

Thanks
Gene

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Lowering the bike.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »
If you lower the bike an inch or so ( I have Lust Racing lowering links installed ) the drive shaft is still well within normal operating specs as it's just following the swingarm arc.   I doubt there'd be any issue unless you used some very radical setup.

On the other hand, lowering the bike makes the centerstand issue even worse.   Putting a 1" or so block under either wheel helps, as does setting the suspension to 2-up before using the c-stand...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

tweedy-bunch