Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fuel Leak - Fuel pump plate  (Read 13753 times)

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Fuel Leak - Fuel pump plate
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:33 am »
ahhh yes. 195 miles, could smell raw gasoline in the garage.... no leaks onto the floor, no obvious fuel dripping. I took off the side panel.... Leaking all the way round the fuel pump plate. fuel is making it down one of the tubes some of it is lower on the motor (not much though). Initially I could tell it was there on the left side mainly, you could smell it stronger there with the seat off, and not on the other side.

I have seen a few posts with people able to smell fuel but not see an actual drip - this is the cause of mine. It's not normal. Not enough to even be a constant drip.

Had a similar problem on a 2000 tiger with the plastic tank. A new gasket fixed everything right up... it usually only leaks at one spot, but the fuel will run round the outside edge of the plate/gasket and look like it's coming from all round the plate.... oh, and nipping the bolts just a pinch past where the torque wrench stopped. But, since it's under warranty, I guess I'll let them have a go at repairing this (although, if I could get the part, could do it faster). Only problem would be if there is some other issue once things are apart.

They're closed tomorrow, but I'll contact them on thursday.

Anyway - PICS!!

near the top, you can see where the fuel is seeping out ..

gasket on the side - not sealing on the outside, but, from having this type of gasket before, there is a larger cross section near the center which actually seals... but, you can see some fuel here (wet)

more fuel here, bottom of plate, left side.... this isn't dust, the darker area is damp from fuel, the lighter color is dry plastic of the tank.

enough fuel leaked it has soaked the protective tape - this tape protects a vent tube from wearing through. It's adhesive on one side, and foil on the other. In this case, it's soaked through and about to fall off.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:30:59 am by walker »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Fuel Leak - Fuel pump plate
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:21:38 am »
Great pictures and detective work.  :028:  Thanks for making us aware.  Please let us know the outcome including dealer response and repair time. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:36 am »
Walker
Thanks for all the info and photos

:460:
Seadog
seadog

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
Great Job, thanks for posting this.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:03 pm »
thanks , a eye in it

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »
Hi walker,

Thanks for sharing this - I'm sure it will be very useful
if any other Members suffer a similar issue  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »
outdoors you might not smell it unless the seat is off - then you tell. In a garage or closed area, you will notice.

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:36 pm »
dropped it off at the dealer.... they had to do their own diagnosis/investigation.... ok.... and came to the same conclusion. Gasket on the fuel pump plate is leaking. Yep. They filled out the paperwork to do the repair under warranty. Hopefully, when they pull the tank it's just the gasket (most likely cause, but until you inspect the gasket and the tank, can't be 100% certain). Should know once the parts arrive. No eta, I didn't ask.

they DO have the little washer seals for the bolts in house, but had to order the main gasket..... so I got a loaner bike until then. (Did not realize the bolts had separate seals. Older versions of the plastic tanks on triumphs I have owned all had a raised cross section at the bolt hole, which worked out nicely, only one thing to worry about.)

Loaner is the silver trophy I test rode.. Might ride it around tomorrow, right now it's in the garage on a trickle charger, which says that the battery needs conditioning, so I'll let it do it's thing while I run errands.

tweedy-bunch