Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS rear low voltage  (Read 13100 times)

Offline bjtourer

• Trophy Member
  • Sooo, what is around the next corner?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bendigo
TPMS rear low voltage
« on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:43 am »
My 2013 SE had just over 17,000kms and is coming up with the above message  :084:.  My dealer says I have to replace the entire rear TPMS unit at a cost of over $200AUD.  I am disturbed that I can't simply replace the battery in the unit and that it has happened so quickly, especially as the front wheel also has one that I assume will go around the same time and other TPMS manufacturers are saying the life of their units is 5-10 years.

Has anybody else had experience with their tyre pressure monitoring system batteries?  As my local dealer hasn't got my trust re: their competency, I'm interested in any good advice  :148:.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: TPMS rear low voltage
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 06:40:57 am »
*Originally Posted by bjtourer [+]
Has anybody else had experience with their tyre pressure monitoring system batteries?  As my local dealer hasn't got my trust re: their competency, I'm interested in any good advice  :148:.
Yes, I have had a "TPMS Low Battery" on BOTH tires already. I have one for the rear right now.

But I have noticed the TPMS is still accurate when having the message. I think it alarms at too high of a battery voltage  as it seems the message can be ignored for months.

My "front tyre low battery" message came on before my 500 mile service. My rear tire just started to give the low battery warning, but it's about time to change that tire anyway.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:04:03 am »
I also have the same issue, but this will be replaced under warranty when I have my 10k service. As I and other have previously mention if it's not effecting the safety of the bike them cancel the warning by pressing "I" button. Alternatively if you don't want to pay that amount. Wait until the tyre needs replacing and have it removed and replace it with a standard valve.

I take it that your 2013 is out of warranty so this won't be replaced by the dealer?

GJ-Trophy :002:
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Online Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 09:25:04 am »
There's been quite a bit of discussion on this topic. For me over the last year when it's cold I get a low a battery warning. Seems it's temperature related. Same with gremlins in the TES and Windscreen when its cold. Doesn't stop me riding and I guess part of the British build.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:32:47 am »
I've had the rear only for the last 5k miles. The dealer I went to when getting another issue sorted told me he would change them under warranty when it goes in for 10k service and tyre replacement.

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:03:50 pm »
I think someone has posted pictures of cutting the TPMS sensor apart and replacing the battery, but I can't find it.  Maybe Coconut can help and add it to the "How To" board.

If you replace the sensors I would keep the old sensors and replace the battery for spares when needed.  Be sure that the old sensors are tagged/marked with the serial numbers so they can be used again.  If you loose the S/N's there is no way to reprogram the dash for the old sensors.  Also, when resealing the sensors be sure to use an electrical grade silicone, the hardware store variety is corrosive to electronics.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »
Maybe Coconut can help .....

If someone wants to provide an old sensor, a Spare Trophy,
and pay for a Dealer to test it afterwards then I'll gladly have a play with it ...
No guarantees though !  :164:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:22:03 am by Coconut »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 03:59:42 pm »
When my batteries finally go I was going to have a go at pulling it apart and see if I could replace the battery myself but if someone else beats me too it I will read their results with interest
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧